• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apogee xl+ ek-fb Asus c5f-z incompatible.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

Went and installed the motherboard block, it looks great, fits great, go to install the CPU block, and the Intel mount that the amd mount screws into hits the motherboard block and prevents install. Now I need to debate either grinding away some metal on this brand new swiftech block, which I'm not a fan of, swapping it for the swiftech gtz, which I doubt I have the amd mount kit for anymore, buying a new CPU block from ek, or maybe convincing a friend to trade me my apogee xl for his 2-3 year old ek CPU block. Not sure which course of action I will be pursuing...

I plan on putting an 8 core in this board, and everything I read about high over clock on 8 core fx chips is that the vrm gets hot. I want to water cool the board so I dont have to strap a fan to the board

Yes they can get hot. I have cooled the VRM with the same block what it does is help normalise the CPU Socket temps, Up to about 4.7GHZ my socket temps very closely follow my Core temps (within 2 - 3*C) but even at 5GHZ my socket temp does not exceed my core temp by more then 6*C. I have not found that water cooling the socket / VRM area will get you a better OC but it can keep socket temps in check somewhat. That is assuming you have enough rad to push the CPU + VRM that high.

I have Black Ice GTX 360 + Black Ice GTX 240 rads cooling just the CPU and VRM using EK block (VRM) and a Koolance CPU-370SA Block on my CPU. No problem with fit here but that APogee XL, I have one on my intel rig is pretty beefy.

All that being said Cooling your VRM like this is not really necessary you can accomplish it with fans properly placed. The only time this type of cooling really needs to be though of is when trying to push to the extreme clocks 5GHZ +.

i know that vrm watercooling isnt necessary, however, it would help keep temperatures in check, and I'm all for keeping stuff cooled down. that, and the block looks freaking awesome.
here they are not fitting with each other.
not fitting.jpg
here is what the final product looks like, for now.
750d1.jpg
when the funds become available for an 8 core fx chip, i think i will probably end up ordering an ek cpu block at the same time
in the end, the HAF 932 is a much nicer case for fitting watercooling stuff into, can only do push, or pull on the top rad, and thats with a fairly thin swiftech rad up top, no room for a second set of fans

Back