• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple To Go Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Simple answer why they're switching: In marketing to the general (ignorant and/or stupid) public, MHz and GHz are everything. Even if a 3.6 GHz Intel performs far worse than a 2.7GHz G5, people will think it's better, solely because the MHz/GHz is higher.

Am I wrong for enjoying all the bemoaning and speculating surrounding this particular topic? :D
I don't know why but I find it so amusing how many people are making such a huge deal out of this. Some are eating their hats, some are shuffling their feet and hanging their heads, and others are ready to pilage and plunder.

The reality is actually quite simple. Apple is having hardware supply issues, and since they don't do enough business to have enough clout to influence large manufacturers, they're in a position similar to most modern OEMS who are passengers in the system rather than drivers. Couple this with Microsoft putting its fingers in enough pies to tick off all of their biggest clients and counterparts, and you have an environment ripe with companies that feel no innert loyalty with one another.

Apple's business model has never made any sense in the recent past. But while this announcement probably has lousy timing, I think it's probably the smartest move they've ever made. However, I'm fairly sure they're not going to make the most of it though since they like to make everything with built-in exclusivity.

Neh, whats really going to change? Apple might will probably optimize their code for the new processor, but other then that is their really anything? Sure, the Apple users can say stability, security, or whatever they want but, I'm not thinking anything is really going to change. stability? Na, as long as they make the boxes like they used to there should be no change. Apple users have always said Apples are more stable but then at the same time there are still people out there that think Pentium processors are more stable then AMD's. As far as I've seen it's not really the hardware thats been the problem, it's more the software (Windows). Security? Na, the X86 isn't at fault here either as far as I've ever known, this too is the fault of the software (Windows). So, I could see people freaking out about viruses but probably like what, 95%+ of the viruses out there are geared toward Windows. Mean while although there are viruses out there for Linux, Unix, or whatever else, they've enjoyed the the saftey of not being the norm (Windows) and not having a virus and/or spyware prog per hour kicked out every day.

Am I bashing Windows? Alittle, but I still use it out of convience. At the same time most of the pluses I've seen kicked out by Mac users are only pluses against Windows.

I heard about the rumour that Macs are going Intel but I thought, no, it can't be. Sure enough it is true. (thanks for the link to the Keynote at WWDC)

This is really going to get interesting. People on boths side of the Mac VS Windows thing are already freaking out in various ways. But as Jobs showed when he revealed that his presentation graphics were running on a P4 based Mac, it will work.

Personally, though, this kills my plans to buy a new Mac this comming winter. Watch for Apple's hardware sales to drop for the next 2 years as people decide to wait for the new Intel based Macs. Apple probably figure iPod sales will carry them through (and they are probably right)

People forget, OSX on x86= 3 OSes in one.

1. OSX
2. Linux
3. Linux=WINE/WINEX/Cedega= WINDOWS

Yea this was stupid on apples part to announce it now. Shouldve waited until they had machines ready. Im so not happy about the trying to erase power PC. i mean, we never got to use 64bit GUI apps yet. Not going finishing it would be such a waste of a good CPU.

From what I can make out from Job's blunderings, Apple will make it so OSx only runs on their boxes, thus eliminating the compatability problems from too many 3rd party's not following their specs. I have no doupt that in a NY minute OSx will be hacked and away we go for the rest of us. Incredibly, the Apple faithfull are breaking down the doors of the Apple Stores to buy the last of the Power PC's because they consider them "trustworthy" and are not planning on buying the renegade Intel/OSx boxes. I think OSx makes a dam good file server from an administrative point of view (deciding which files to keep and which to delete, etc) so will look forward to having a multi boot OS machine (OSx, Windoze, Linux) in the near future.

Back