• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying fresh thermal paste under the North/South bridge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Obsidus

Question.

Is it possible, and if so, WORTH the hassle to try to take off the shielding, etc, of my motherboards NB and SB, to get rid of the dried old crud and apply some Arctic Silver 5 to help keep temps down? I've heard of a few people doing this (and doing it to their GPU's as well) and was just wondering if it is worth the risk and hassle? Thanks! :)

There isn't much risk at all unless you've never used a screw driver before (assuming it is simplly screwed on and not using those crappy plastic clips). It definitely wouldn't hurt.

With that said, the SB rarely gets hot at all and the NB is generally fine as well. But like I said, it couldn't hurt to do so.

as long as your careful it wouldn't be a problem to do and might help lower temps alittle
but unless your temps are abnormally high i wouldn't bother

as long as your careful it wouldn't be a problem to do and might help lower temps alittle
but unless your temps are abnormally high i wouldn't bother

Good point. I was more curious than anything to be honest. The only time I'd think about doing this would MAYBE be with the GPU, but mind doesn't get very hot, even overclocked so.

I generally replace the thermal paste on all of my motherboards with Arctic Cooling MX-2 myself. There's usually at least a little bit of a temperature drop, at least on older motherboards anyway, but then I buy a lot of the older 4-6 year old motherboards that are probably in need of having their paste replaced.

Probably the Sabertooth comes with proper TIM, but usually they come with that pink sh*t that MUST be replaced. I used MX-2 on everything of my rig and 'cept on the CPU, there were temp's drop, SPECIALLY on the NB, like 10C.

Back