• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU and GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daedalistZ

Hi guys I am new to AMD (I usually use Intel) but I am building a computer with an APU and I'm curious if I can add a GPU to my system later on. :shrug: Thanks Z

You can add a GPU later.

Depending on your needs, you can add a GPU in Hybrid Crossfire.

Depending on which APU you have will dictate which GPU you can hybrid crossfire with. The APU box or manual should tell you which GPUs will work with it in crossfire.

Adding a discrete GPU, the APU will automatically disable its integrated GPU (unless the GPU is Hybrid CrossFire compatible, but that is only for low-end graphics cards).

so i can now build new homes for my old 5460 cards other than the bottom drawer?

I am starting to think that amd might be getting ready to kill socket am3+ and push fm2.

reading that i can only hope it's like ram, just because it's not on the qvl dos'nt mean it will not work.

reading that i can only hope it's like ram, just because it's not on the qvl dos'nt mean it will not work.

There have been a lot of reports of people successfully using a 7750 in dual graphics mode, even though it is not listed as a recommended GPU. AMD just released a new update for the catalyst driver, and it will be interesting to see (though I wouldn't count on it) if any other cards are working now. 7770 perhaps?

I have 2 7770's and a 7850 also and as am3+ dies it would be nice to keep these cards as I rather like the price/perfomance ratio with them. my feeling is that the fm2 socket will be the new top line in amd and IF the steam roller cpu is released it might be the last of the cpu's and from then out it will all be apu's.

I have 2 7770's and a 7850 also and as am3+ dies it would be nice to keep these cards as I rather like the price/perfomance ratio with them. my feeling is that the fm2 socket will be the new top line in amd and IF the steam roller cpu is released it might be the last of the cpu's and from then out it will all be apu's.

I thought I read AMD is killing off FM2 and will start making FM2+ sockets , starting with steamroller.

Back