• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Ill just get down to it.

1) I am assuming I can turn off the GPU function of the card with a dedicated gpu?

2) If 'yes', to "1", I assume that will make the APU run cooler over all?

Yes I am aware that kinda defeats the purpose of getting an APU... But I got the chip on sale for 24.99$, so its not a huge deal to me in that regard. I am getting my r9 290 monday, so I'll just move my 270x which will be doing nothing anyway into my htpc.

Running A4 6300k, and its just LOUD. I can't turn the fan down because its HOT. I'd prefer to keep it simple, may be grabbing an h60 for silence here at some point.

Something to try before you spend money ...... I will assume you have a cooler for an 81XX or 83XX cooler. Yes I know they can be loud too but give it a try. It is able to dissipate allot more heat if it is still to loud then you can get a different cooler for it. Even with my 7850K the cooler that came with it was insufficient.

Something to try before you spend money ...... I will assume you have a cooler for an 81XX or 83XX cooler. Yes I know they can be loud too but give it a try. It is able to dissipate allot more heat if it is still to loud then you can get a different cooler for it. Even with my 7850K the cooler that came with it was insufficient.

Yeah I noticed it was significantly larger. I unfortunately broke the clips and stuff on it (didn't care at the time haha), i'll see if I can rig something up with that.

hiya bob4933

Yessir...install the card, go into bios and set the system to look to the pci-e (vs. igp) and you should be good to go.

hiya bob4933

Yessir...install the card, go into bios and set the system to look to the pci-e (vs. igp) and you should be good to go.
Depends on the board. Some have functions to disable it, while a setting like pcie and igpu is usually just for boot order.

the bios should see the vid card and disable the igpu on it's own.
I have 2 apu setups and I was caught off guard as to how loud the fans for the coolers are on these.

Back