• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 vs Cooler Master Hyper 212 paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lnandez

Registered
I just wanted to throw this thread out there to see if its worth getting the Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound; also because i searched the topic and couldn't find any threads explicitly comparing the two. I know that it has some great reviews on newegg. But is there really a differences in terms of temperature when compared to the thermal paste that comes with the cooler master hyper 212 evo? Or is it pointless to get the arctic silver 5 when the hyper 212 already comes with thermal paste.

some people here say that arctic silver is out dated and that there is much better options out there but personally its the only paste i use its reliable and i know its characteristics from years of use, and have never had it dry out and glue my cpu to my heat sync like many others have done to me in the past.

im sure the paste that comes with the hyper will be fine for you and probably no point in getting any silver unless you have a preference for it at best you would probably see a 1-2 degree difference.

First don't read too much into the "Newegg" reviews. There not very accurate. AS5 was good in it's day and still is a decent TIM IMO, but personally I use either Phobya HE extreme grease or Ghelid extreme thermal compound. The Ghelid gives me about 2c cooler than the Phobya (estimate) after reseating my water block a bunch of times with both and recording the temps. About 4 to 5c cooler than AS5. Usually the TIM that comes with the cooler whether it be air or water block is not that good although some manufacturers are starting to put better TIM in there packages. This is just based on my personal experience with those 3 TIM's.

Newegg reviews is like Toms hardware, aka, Radio Shack. "I need a 35Pf cap, where are they?"

"Umm, you want a phone or an RC car?"

What you see is a review from LONG LONG ago. Pay attention to the dates. The 'Internets' is OLD. Pay attention to dates of reviews.

AS5, the normal name without the NASA silly stuff is AS5. Old.

Rainmain has it right.

Meh, I'm sill using Arctic Silver Ceramique..... Termal paste choice just isn't that big of a deal. MX4 would be my choice if I were to buy today. Performs ok and its cheap and cheerful

I had issues with the paste that comes with the hyper 212 drying out in a hurry. I was folding at the time with it at pretty high clock speeds though. I would most def buy something better.
I like the mx-2 or mx4 and its not that much money

Back