• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - AM4 use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Trying to find some place to buy one. The ebay prices are crazy, Can't find any sellers in New Zealand. Cooler Master is saying this is worth a few dollars but every where I am looking have the prices jacked up.

Since my 3200g came with a cooler is there something from that I can use with my Hyper 212 Evo?

Last edited:
I don't think so.

It might be cheaper to just buy a different cooler that has AM4 compatibility out of the box.

I saw they are only worth a couple of bucks on the cooler master website however I don't think they stock them.

Worst case scenario will have to use the fan that comes with the CPU, would prefer to use the 212 since I am wanting to do some overclocking.

I think the 3200g comes with the newer wraith fan which isn't as good as the one with the copper bottom.

Managed to find a place who can send me the AM4 part I need trying to see if they have stock hopefully they do so I can stick with my trusty old 212.

i would contact coolermaster directly. a friend contacted them and they sent him one free of charge. it was a while back but its still worth a shot.

Made contact with them yesterday hopefully I hear back from them, still searching the web to try and find where I can get one at a reasonable price.

Are these being given with the 212 Evo by default if you buy new???

I don't see AM4 in those illustrations from the link, ED. Are you saying the mounting holes on an AM4 board have the same bolt pattern? The "X" pressure bracket looks to be adjustable but whether or not that adjustment range accommodates the different spacing of the bolt holes for AM4 is another issue. The online manual you link may not be current. As far as I know, the only coolers whose compatibility with socket AM4 carried over from AM3+ days were the clip on ones.

Last edited:
I don't know about the manual...

As far as where it shows AM4 compatibility in the first link..........in the specifications. I see on the main page it isn't listed.

Best to hear back from Coolermaster on this........their website is clearly confused, lol!

am4.jpg

I bought a 212x when AM4 first came out. The old stock did not come with the AM4 bracket even though it was listed online as compatible. CM sent me an adapter free of charge after I emailed them and explained what was happening. To my knowledge new stock should have the brackets included.

IIRC AM4 is different from AM3+ (brb googling)

EDIT: It is different.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
A quick trip to the website shows AM4 on the list....https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-evo/

This didnt come with any amd brackets? Am3+ is the same as AM4 iirc...
https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/WvfHzB8IAQ/

I am currently using this cooler on my 8350 is the bracket the exact same? I thought there was some difference??

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I bought a 212x when AM4 first came out. The old stock did not come with the AM4 bracket even though it was listed online as compatible. CM sent me an adapter free of charge after I emailed them and explained what was happening. To my knowledge new stock should have the brackets included.

IIRC AM4 is different from AM3+ (brb googling)

EDIT: It is different.

View attachment 209192

Crap, got my hopes up lol. I emailed coolermaster no reply. All Australian sellers don't deliver to NZ, same problem when I purchase from Amazon.

I don't think so. It's designed for a water block. Height will be different.

I got this as a reply to my question on amazon.

"The am3 and am4 socket is the same size just a different pin layout if you still have the clip bracket available use the am3 mounting hardware otherwise the screw in bracket can b found on coolermaster.com"

So is this basically saying whatever I got in the box when I purchased this should be good enough to fit to an AM4 CPU?

I also got a message from coolermaster who said they were currently out of stock for the bracket, no indication when they would have more.

They are correct about the overall socket size, but the mounting for them are different as well as the pin-out. Coolermasters "X" type mount will work but you will need a different back plate.

EDIT: Left is AM3(+): Right is AM4
20200402_055925.jpg

Heights are the same
20200402_055959.jpg

This is the mounting plate that comes with a current Hyper 212 laid on top of an AM3 backplate. Notice the holes closest to the AM3 holes. That is where the AM4 mounting bolts need to be.
20200402_060052.jpg

Last edited:
Those two CPUs do not look to be the same height to me. The one on the right is shorter but not by much. Not sure if that would cause a contact/pressure problem or not.

The PCB on the left looks thicker...but the IHS is thinner too? Too blurry to tell the total height... too blurry overall to tell. :)

Ok. Revisited the questionable pic. Here's a better one. Keep in mind pin length isn't important as the pins sit inside the socket. The top of the heat spreader to the base of the PCB is what matters.

20200403_070559.jpg

Back