• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Gentle typhoon still the best? And fan speed control?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

Im slowly gearing up to start spending money on my 800D project.

For the project is will be needing 12x120mm fans for push/pull on the rads.

My intention was always to use the Gentle Typhoon, to move maximum air at lowest possible speed.

This would then be AP 30 with a fan speed controller.

In all honesty, i want to control ALL 12 fans with one controller. (one turning knob) and i want that controller to be the Lamptron FC5 V2 Fan Controller.

Is this overkill? Would there be a way i could make this work? and are my best choice in fans still the gentle typhoons?

OR as a whole other options, is there a way i can have auto fan speed, so that tha fans regulate speed according to temperature of the liquid cooling?

Last edited:
I would use Noctua fans personally, as they're nearly silent, and they move a lot of air. I don't know much on fan controllers so i'll leave that to another member.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html

The GT is still very heavily favoured. Considering its many year old design and no-fuss extras (no fancy LNA, no fancy rubber grommets) it's still a fantastic fan series. 12 fans? Are ALL these fans on rads? I'd only use the GT's on Rads. And 12 on one fan controller is doable but not with a single knob (Well; I wouldn't anyway). Maybe 4 per each knob could work. But if some of the fans are just airflow fans (non radiator) I wouldn't use GTs personally.

I think providing us info with your '800D build plan' would help more first. ^^

They are great fans but you're not going to be able to run them off 1 channel. If I did the math correctly, they are using almost 7 watts per fan. 1 channel is capable of 30w on that controller. I personally wouldn't run more then 3 per channel.

They are great fans but you're not going to be able to run them off 1 channel. If I did the math correctly, they are using almost 7 watts per fan. 1 channel is capable of 30w on that controller. I personally wouldn't run more then 3 per channel.
Here we go! Spot on!

You need to look at the fan specs to see what amperage they need (then convert to watts by *12). Assuming MD4565's math is correct @ 7W, you can run 4 fans on a channel with that controller.

Ok. All sounds great.

I dont mind having to do some mods of some sort to run all 12 of one knob, doesnt have to be that controller.

All 12 fans will be rads yes. I will only be using GT's on rads.

The rest of the fans will we Enermax, unless i find another one i like with white LED, since those enermax pretty much barely move any air around.

Idea on how i could run all 12 fans of one control unit would be awesome. But i would love to hear from anyone with know how on how i could run the fan speed according to the water temp.

Im not sure, but i believe i heard Linus talk it something similar on his personal rig.

If you want 12 fans on one knob, you will need a controller that has 100W /channel on it (12*7 = 96W). I have never seen one of those before.

Fan speed according to the pump? The pump doesnt need touched. I suggest getting a D5 Vario, setting it to 3 (silent and easily goes through 2 rads and 3 blocks) and trying to figure out how the heck you are going to shoehorn 100W worth of fans on ONE channel...

EDIT: Lamptron Hummer 100W /CH. However its an on off deal, not adjustable...

You MUST run the AP 30's? In push pull? Why? I must ask.

Please explain your need for this.

Your going to be running two 120x3 rads I think right? You can use AP-15's at 1000 RPM and have plenty of cooling. And when set to 1000 you never have to touch the knob again.

And even at that 6 AP-15s is all you need for that amount of raddage to start with. Save yourself some big $$.

You MUST run the AP 30's? In push pull? Why? I must ask.

Please explain your need for this.

Your going to be running two 120x3 rads I think right? You can use AP-15's at 1000 RPM and have plenty of cooling. And when set to 1000 you never have to touch the knob again.

And even at that 6 AP-15s is all you need for that amount of raddage to start with. Save yourself some big $$.

I will be honest, i do appreciate the honesty, and picking 15's might be a decent idea, but i am no changing my build idea as far as amounts of fans.

Money isnt the object on this project :)

AP-15 only uses 4.32W on startup and 0.996W after startup. So, 12 of those would be 51.84W at startup and 11.952W afterwards. All 12 could probably be run on a single 50W channel since ratings, in general, are usually understated to make sure to give a little wiggle room if something causes a situation where the rating is exceeded for a short period of time.

50W channel fans controllers would be easier to find :D

EDIT: Really, if you loaded the channel with 12 fans, the vdrop will probably make the actual wattage less than 50W anyway.

You may want to check into new Lamptron CW611

Also, if your wanting the fans at lowest speed possible then the AP-30 is pointless. The 15s would let you run more on one channel. I have the FC5v2 with 8 ap-15s on it and seems fine. I have only tested tho no prolonged use.

It's pretty easy to build a fan controller from scratch. A 555 driving an open loop buck converter works nicely.

Yep. I built one of them. Had to learn about soldering. Then breadboarding. Then finding a place with a magic 555 with a deframulator with a muffler bearing.

Easy for who?:screwy:

Come on dude. :mad: Focus on helping the OP. :clap::clap: Not on your amazing EE degree.:bang head:bang head

Last edited:
Actually, I think up to 4 or 5 AP-30's would be great. Just set yourself up with a PWM splitter, and mod the fans to run on PWM. Far cheaper than a fan controller. Check out this link, for a how-to. Or this link, for converting an AP-30.

Back