• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my MOBO pins BENT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdhatt

Registered
Hey guys,

so i am getting this board RMA'ed and im probably being reeaalllyyy paranoid but i thought a heard a tiny scratch when putting the plastic shield to protect the pins, back on. I was doing it wrong initially and just need to make sure the warranty isnt going to screw me when they receive the board. ive never bent the pins on a mobo so i dont really know what to look for in person. does everything look ok at first glance? i know this may seem dumb but i figured id get opinions for my own piece of mind. i apologize if the picture isnt good enough it was taken off my Note 2. If ther picture isnt clear enough i can retake later on with a better camera.

Thanks alot!!!

Attachments

• 20130805_170353 copy.jpg
    20130805_170353 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
a friend pointed out the entire top right section in the picture looks like its kind of wavy, its not like that in the full res pic or in person.

Looks good to me. The pins have an interesting shape to them from the factory. I don't see anything out of place.

Thanks for the reply! yea thats what i thought, i didnt know if they were just made to look alittle funky like that or if i messed them up lol but thank you for the reassurance!

I posted the exact same thing about a week ago...I took the plastic cover off the socket and tried to replace it by putting it under the socket cover. Arrrggghhh, I realized my mistake and took a look at my socket, a few pins did not align up w/ the rest of them. I was paranoid that I fubar'd the new mobo. Instead of trying to straighten one or two pins I put the CPU in and it worked fine...Phew.
you can see my pic HERE
Its really hard to see but one looks out of place..if it were not for me fiddling w/ the stupid plastic cover I would not have noticed and never had to worry.
and BTW..its hella hard to take a pic of those socket pins, even w/ my EPL1 camera, I had a difficult time getting a good shot of the pins.

Last edited:
I posted the exact same thing about a week ago...I took the plastic cover off the socket and tried to replace it by putting it under the socket cover. Arrrggghhh, I realized my mistake and took a look at my socket, a few pins did not align up w/ the rest of them. I was paranoid that I fubar'd the new mobo. Instead of trying to straighten one or two pins I put the CPU in and it worked fine...Phew.
you can see my pic HERE
Its really hard to see but one looks out of place..if it were not for me fiddling w/ the stupid plastic cover I would not have noticed and never had to worry.
and BTW..its hella hard to take a pic of those socket pins, even w/ my EPL1 camera, I had a difficult time getting a good shot of the pins.

exact. same. thing. LOL. I felt like such an idiot after, but fortunately i dont see any of mine actually bent over towards another pin like that, which i guess is a good thing? awesome that yours ended up working though thats extremely lucky! from what i know its completely fine aslong as it posts with the cpu in?

I know the picture is alittle tough to tell but at first glance does anything look out of place?

I don't see any pins that look particularly out of place or out of the ordinary.

Though for this kind of thing it's much easier to tell when looking at it in person. Very difficult to photograph something that small unless you have a really good camera.

Actually, the system can sometimes post with pins bent at odd angles, it really comes down to which pins are bent. I've heard of folks having memory not run at the proper speed or the system not recognizing all of it due to bent pins, but with the system running otherwise normally. Or you could have the system run but not recognize the processor correctly and run it at the wrong speed (too slow or too fast).

Many odd things can happen when it comes to bent socket pins.

My memory is not working as it should but that could be due to a fussy mother board that is particular about its RAM. Ive considered that perhaps that one bent pin may be the cause....or ive got a high maintenance mobo and princess wants some faster ram!

Back