• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are my temps reading wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wulf8313

i have done some forum searching on cpu no direct answer

i have a scythe cooler the x one not sue name atm, i put on a 120 cfm delta fan

nothing is abnormal on my comp except i underclocked cpu to 176x14.0

my cooler and underclocking cant run cpu down to 15c can it

zero load at screenshot

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 72
Yes, the CPU temperatures that are being reported on your computer are not correct.

As a general rule if the temperature that is being reported is less than the ambient temperature of the room you are in and you are using air cooling, then it is not reporting the correct temperature.

I'd try a different program like Core Temp for instance.

The temperatures for Cores are always wrong for me. I get like 7 C when idle, and my room has more. Just follow the temperatures from motherboard CPU sensor.
So when you run prime95, the CPU temperature is 47C, not 33C.

Core temps are never accurate, ESPECIALLY at idle. They are more accurate when under load but even then they aren't exact. Core temps are a guestimation.

That's actually wrong. Even TheCoolest (the member here who wrote coretemp) will tell you that if you go by the "core temps" you need to add around 15C to get an approximation of your CPU Temp.

TCase = The sensors on the die package that are averaged to give a temperature value

TCore = The individual core temps that are "approximated" by taking the nearest TCase sensor and mathmatically "guestimating" that particular cores temperature

TJunction = The sensor beneath the socket where the CPU's pins connect with the board.

TCase Max = The maximum operating temperature listed in all of the AMD Thermal information guides (i.e. 61C for the 8120/8150 etc.)

Any I believe TCase is the cpu temp as a whole.

As I've found with my chip (FX-8120) mine does the same, except I idle at like 6C and load up to 60+ at stock, and may I ask why you would underclock your CPU? Unless your fighting your electricity bill, then I see no reason to.

I was wondering the same thing.

In that case though would it not be more effective to undervolt the CPU rather than underclock it?

Back