• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are my usb ports going bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrittanyLovato

hello, I have noticed than with 2 different wireless adapters, i keep having to switch usb ports in order to keep a good signal. it will start out excellent, then in about 3 days will go down to fair, if i switch usb ports and put it in one right next to it, the signal will reach excellent again, then after a few days the same thing will happen. what would cause this? could both the wireless adapters just be going bad?

More likely it is a driver issue rather than a hardware port issue. What you describe is actually not uncommon with some WIFI adapters. What OS are you running?

I have experienced this myself. Some WIFI adapters have drivers that are just buggy with some operating systems. I can have this issue with an adapter when using it in Linux but it will work just fine in Windows or visa versa.

I have had good results with this adapter across the board: https://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbp...815063&sr=1-1&keywords=panda+usb+wifi+adapter

Back