• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these temps OK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

letsurf

Registered
I just build my first PC and just wanted to make sure everything is running smoothly. Are these temps OK? Haven't done any overclocking or anything. Also, when running 3d mark, gaming, and running the passmark performance test the max CPU temps were around 65-69* C. Are these numbers OK? Thanks =)

Attachments

• comptemps.PNG
    comptemps.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 158
Well it's okay as long as you don't OC no need to change that. Could I just ask if those minimum temps were measured when work had started, or completely idle? If idle, then 29C as the lowest idle temps is a no go, even with a stock cooler. Unless the room temperature is like 40C.

Well it's okay as long as you don't OC no need to change that. Could I just ask if those minimum temps were measured when work had started, or completely idle? If idle, then 29C as the lowest idle temps is a no go, even with a stock cooler. Unless the room temperature is like 40C.

Room temperature is at around 23* C. 29-35 is about average idle temp. The case is large with 5 large fans, lots of ventilation, almost no wires at all inside case so lots of air flow. Using stock cooler. Average idle temp is around 30-35. When I processed video earlier the temps got up to 65-75*.

Attachments

• IMG_0312 copy.jpg
    IMG_0312 copy.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 119
Well you really should be able to do better with such a case, take the time to rewire everything one of those days. But I don't think it'll help much with temps, although that ATX cable crossing over the CPU is not the best thing. Plenty of room to breathe there as you said, but such a build deserves better cable management.

It could be normal for the stock cooler to allow such idle temps, it's nothing dramatic, but with the room temperatures I would expect at least one of your cores to hover somewhere around 25 C, and the "hottest" core to be somewhere around 30-32C. Temps running video benchmark are quite okay for a stock cooler, so the most important part seems to be under limited control - you could easily get better with proper cooling. Meanwhile, perhaps a little too much TIM, perhaps nothing wrong at all with the temps you're getting.

Such a build, yet again, also deserves a proper cooling, IMHO. You should be quit for around 60$ for a high-end air cooler, or entry level closed water loop.

Last edited:
Well you really should be able to do better with such a case, take the time to rewire everything one of those days. But I don't think it'll help much with temps, although that ATX cable crossing over the CPU is not the best thing. Plenty of room to breathe there as you said, but such a build deserves better cable management.

It could be normal for the stock cooler to allow such idle temps, it's nothing dramatic, but with the room temperatures I would expect at least one of your cores to hover somewhere around 25 C, and the "hottest" core to be somewhere around 30-32C. Temps running video benchmark are quite okay for a stock cooler, so the most important part seems to be under limited control - you could easily get better with proper cooling. Meanwhile, perhaps a little too much TIM, perhaps nothing wrong at all with the temps you're getting.

Such a build, yet again, also deserves a proper cooling, IMHO. You should be quit for around 60$ for a high-end air cooler, or entry level closed water loop.

The ATX cable looks close but it's about 3" off the cpu. The cord was too short to put anywhere else or would have ran it up and around or something. Just ordered a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus so hopefully that will help.

The ATX cable looks close but it's about 3" off the cpu. The cord was too short to put anywhere else or would have ran it up and around or something. Just ordered a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus so hopefully that will help.

Isn't there a hole in the case, right over the top left side of the Mobo when looking at it like in your picture? I can't quite see correctly there, but it seems like there is. Usually the ATX cable is long enough so that you can route it through the management hole right beside the PSU, then up along the backside of the mobo, then exit through the said top hole and plug. You may have to work it up there a little, ie pulling "firmly" (while holding the cable near the PSU in order not to pull directly from the PSU exit, but just the part between your hands) and playing with it to loosen and extend it the best it can be.

Cooler is a good option, should bring you down around 55-60C when benchmarking. Don't expect it to change your idle temps much, unless reapplying the TIM upon the switch makes for a better interface than you have now.

iphonePC534_zpsfe178333.jpg
[/IMG]

Ancient built... close to what yours will look like with the cooler.

I would buy some nice exstension cables and rewire that case, also does the HDD Cages come out? That's your problem its blocking what airflow from your front fans, that's if you have them pulling in cool air from the front! AJ.

And that's the actual one...

74FFED48-BE69-4A49-A675-4015650F86E8-10330-000009073C572594.jpg
[/IMG]

Very cool. I thought my wiring was great until I looked at yours :shock:. I see you have almost all your cords going around the backside. I didn't do that with some because they were stiff and I didn't even know they would bend that way and didn't want to put pressure on the plugin. Do I just pre-bend the 24 pin power cord and then maybe zip tie it and plug it in or what?

As far as the hdd case are they meant to come apart to be removed if you're not using the slots?

OP get some double sided tape and stick your HDD Drive to the case floor in front of the fans. Then if your using a SSD Drive stick that with the tape to the top of the HDD Drive, then get rid of them cages. Which will increase the air flow, if you do not like that idea then put your Hard Drives into the spare 5.25 drive space. And use the screws to secure using the holes. And a good tidy up of all the cables will improve air flow. AJ. ;) :thup:

Attachments

• Philip's update Photo's 12.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • Philip's update Photo's 14A.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 14A.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Philip's update photo's 11A.jpg
    Philip's update photo's 11A.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 106
I would perhaps not go as far as saying you need to remove the HDD cage to have sufficient airflow for a light overclock and casual use. Even a heavier overclock, as a matter of fact, been rolling on 4.8 GHz for quite some time, and added 2 HDDs since then, and now the whole cage is filled with one space free between each disk, and my temps remained the same. Guess it depends on the case, the fans, and their position.

As for the 24 pin/8 pin ATX, you can just bend them slowly, no need to attach it, just to "heat it" by bending it one way and the other until you feel you can just bend it one last time, apply more pressure, hold for about 20 seconds, as to give it a little help towards the side you need it to bend ultimately. The rest you'll be able to manage when plugging. Also, don't attach on the backside until the connection is made on the mobo/component. Then use twistix to attach excessive cable, and go on. When you're all done with all the cables, you can decide to switch the twistix to some long term solution like tie-wraps, or keep them if you think you'll have to move that cable one of those days. When all is wired is also a good time to try and gather cables on the backside so it doesn't look like a mess and it's easy to pass more cables if needed.

I could go on hours like that, building is my thing. You can even manage with cases that offer little to no cable management holes. Here's a desktop I've made for a company - yes that cooler is way too much, but it was my half-brother who bought it and I gave it to him (I lost the bracket to fit with Intel anyway), knowing that rig needed as much cooling as possible. It's a mechanic shop... Anyway, as clean as my rig is, although the PSU on top with no management holes creates a certain mess, but nothing in the path of cooling though. :D

28C8EFA7-0D2B-40C0-BECC-81CA7972829B-10330-0000094CC033389A.jpg
[/IMG]

AA41129A-D75C-4542-AE90-5B4131488968-10330-0000094CC4060303.jpg
[/IMG]

As for the 24 pin/8 pin ATX, you can just bend them slowly, no need to attach it, just to "heat it" by bending it one way and the other until you feel you can just bend it one last time, apply more pressure, hold for about 20 seconds, as to give it a little help towards the side you need it to bend ultimately.

Please don't do this. :shock: Flexing it to generate heat will stress fatigue the wires and cause them to break. Heat it with a hair dryer and bend to the shape you want. Hold it until it cools. You may want to bent it a little more because it will spring back when you release it.

The rest of Mod-R's advice I agree with. :thup:

?

You cant idle cooler than ambient...:-/

I dont see much wrong with anything personally. I dont see, again for me, why one would waste the time and effort to remove hard drive cages for a meager difference in temperatures.

To each their own, but your temps are fine for the stock cooler. :thup:

EDIT: I just realized I cant see ANY pictures the OP posted (please host internally from this site).

?

You cant idle cooler than ambient...:-/

I dont see much wrong with anything personally. I dont see, again for me, why one would waste the time and effort to remove hard drive cages for a meager difference in temperatures.

To each their own, but your temps are fine for the stock cooler. :thup:

EDIT: I just realized I cant see ANY pictures the OP posted (please host internally from this site).

29 was the lowest temp, then 31, 31, 36, and 36 for the package. That is kind of high even on a stock cooler, and even more when ambient is around 23 C like the OP said. Sorry should have said something more logical like 30C, not 40, but I just wanted the OP to understand that the temperatures should be around/a little higher than the room for at least one of the cores, not like 6-13C more for each of them. Nothing dramatic as I said, and it could very well be because of the stock cooler. On the other hand, the stock cooler is more than enough for a PC at idle, should not make much difference even with a more proper cooling, so I still think his temps are a tiny bit too high.

Sorry though you're entirely right, I'll make sure to use a more realistic figure next time.

The delta between ambient and idle temperatures will vary A LOT from system to system. Ive seen some on water down around 5C, and others up to 15C. It just depends on MANY things.

I know it depends on many things, just never thought it depended so much that a 20C range in similar environment with similar cooling could be considered all right, and it seemed to me most people are around 25-30 most of the times. I did point out to the OP that his temperatures when benchmarking were quite alright for a stock cooler, and that this was the most important thing.

Good to know, though... I was all worried that my hottest core was always hitting 30C fast on idle, now I'm not anymore. :)

Back