• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Ceramique, 6C less under load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome! And damn.. a 13-year-old thread necro... impressive!!!

Idle temps are largely not relevant. Temperature sensors are least accurate down low and more accurate the higher up it gets. It can give you a remote idea if load temps will be high, but not something that should be used to measure results with. Only load temperatures.

The AS rep above you said that 6C difference (against AS5) isn't possible.

That said, what are you LOAD temperatures which is what matters? How much did those change?

I am here because I just ordered Ceramique 2 because I couldn't find the first one. My experience mimics yours down to exact change in temps. I used arctic silver grey/black paste forever. About 3 years ago, I bought a big tube of ceramique on ebay just because it was so cheap (about $11 for 20+ grams I believe). Temps on my cpu were high so I went and did what I usually do - clean the heatsink and the fan leaving the old paste in. My idle temps went down to 21C. Out of pure curiosity, I went and applied Ceramique paste. Temp went down to 16C. Same results on my son's desktop. I went back and applied a fresh arctic silver 5. Temps went up to 21C. Reapplied the ceramique , temps went down again to 16C and I never looked back since. My idle cpu temps are only 1C higher than ambient temp (I have a well ventilated case, always use 5 or more fans on low RPM because I like them silent.) I am putting together a new system and I ordered Ceramique 2 because I cannot find the damn tube for the life of me. I hope it is as good as the original ceramique.

You should never reattach a heatsink without cleaning off the old application of paste from both bottom of heatsink and top of CPU. Use a cloth or tissue (plain, without lotion ebedded) Isopropyl alcohol to clean thoroughly after wiping the bulk of the old paste off.

Having said all that, AS5 is no longer considered a top tier thermal paste. There are many better ones out there, some are expensive. A very good one that is also relatively inexpensive is Arctic Cooling MX4.

I thought as5 was better than mx4?

The last time I ran Ceramique and as5 iirc I saw 3-4c better temps with as5. Up until last year I was an as5 user and swore by it. I was using Thermalright cf3 until yesterday, and am now running TF8, which is like that kryonaut stuff I suppose.

Welcome! And damn.. a 13-year-old thread necro... impressive!!!

Idle temps are largely not relevant. Temperature sensors are least accurate down low and more accurate the higher up it gets. It can give you a remote idea if load temps will be high, but not something that should be used to measure results with. Only load temperatures.

The AS rep above you said that 6C difference (against AS5) isn't possible.

That said, what are you LOAD temperatures which is what matters? How much did those change?

I honestly did not compare them on load. All I know is that temps on my athlon II x4 were in mid 50's with ceramique and that was all I cared about. I am using it on my FX cpu now and I planed to use it for my son's i7-7700 and his friends i7-6700. I also did not pay attention how much/if at all temps drop after AS is broken in. I have to remind you though that the temp I got after cleaning the heatsink were with an existent application of AS. Results with ceramique are instant and 100% consistent with every application. You gave me second thoughts and I will apply AS on mine and my son's desktop just for the heck of it. I will keep an eye on temps for a few weeks.

PS Just asked my son about temps on his cpu. I put his system together a little over a month ago. On full load, right after I installed his i7-6700, temp maxed out at 81C. They are now, again, on full load, 74C. So here is the proof that AS indeed needs few weeks to settle. 7C is A LOT for a standard, tiny heatsink that comes with 6700.

AC themselves claim 2-3C after its curing time. If its more, sounds like there were other variables involved as there are many. ;)

AS5 is still ok, IMO. It's not Thermal Grizzly or liquid metal, but for the vast majority it works fine. The biggest drawback, in my view, is AS5 is conductive. If you're careful that isn't a problem, but it is an added concern that's unnecessary. I'm a fan of MX4 to the point that I got a 20g tube on sale on Amazon. LOL

Definitely not conductive. AS5 needs 200 hours to cure. You can help it along quite a bit with p95 runs and a cool down in between, and occasional power off to bring it down to ambient, then back to p95. A few cycles of that should be fine.

Not sure what I was thinking unless I recalled not wanting to bridge any connections with it and I was posting too close to bedtime. LOL

Not sure what I was thinking unless I recalled not wanting to bridge any connections with it and I was posting too close to bedtime. LOL

Nah you won’t bridge connections with it. I’ve been a tad sloppy a few times going back to s462 never any problems. I only stopped using it because I ran out. Had I not had others to try I would probably be still using it.. but I am liking Thermalrights TF8 so won’t be using as5 for quite some time, if ever again..

I am using MX4 now. Previously had aquafresh. Temps are in the same ballpark area, so not sure..

AC themselves claim 2-3C after its curing time. If its more, sounds like there were other variables involved as there are many. ;)

I agree. Also, his idle temps after install were very erratic; on other builds, temps would more or less settle around a certain value and remain there with occasional spikes. His were jumping back and forth through 20's and 30's. I guess because it was my first build with intel 1151 and Intel in general, I did not do a good job with heatsink mounting.

In response to trent, I did not remove the heatsink at all; it remained attached to the mobo. If I ever remove the heatsink, I always clean up and apply fresh paste.

Jumping between 20s and 30s is completely normal. CPU rarely sits around not doing anything at all, especially during first phases of log in.

I agree. I never pay attention to cpu temps right after boot. I check them at least 15 min after login.

I agree. I never pay attention to cpu temps right after boot. I check them at least 15 min after login.
Either way... it's idle and mostly irrelevant, those idle temps. :)

I wouldn't bet its the paste that is causing those fluctations. Each system is different, especially if it is a different processor and OS install (new/old, etc).

Yup, Alaric is spot on. It was Aquafresh, those triple colored pasta. I even overclocked on it past 4ghz and it was fine! Used it for about a week until MX4 came in.:thup:

Yeah, and during that time the heat sink and IHS didn't get any cavities.

Back