• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS 5 Application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retsgtcas

I am ordering some AS 5 and want to know what I should use to spread it evenly over my CPU. I had used ARCTIC CERAMIQUE2.5G% but I still get 32C idle and maybe mid 40C while playing AAO.

A grain of rice seems like a lot. Then maybe I didn't put enough on. For my XP 2600+ mobile, it was maybe 2/5 of a long grain rice:D .

same here
i probably only applied 1/3 BB size on my P4...
not even sure if that's why my temps are high...
i thought too much is bad...

Best thing to do is do at least two devices at the same time..(VGA and CPU or whatever)

jsut load on plenty of the arctic Silver onto the CPU (or most crucial device). Next, use credit card or at best a razor blade to "pull" a nice blanket of AS over the entire surface. Follow up with one more pass but this time apply slightly more pressure, and at a 90 degree angle difference to your first pass. ( try to apply enough pressure to get as much of the stuff off without exposing the die surface....just go by touch)
Now scrape up all the excess stuff of the sides and jsut apply it to your next victim. ( if it isnt enough just add A LITTLE more)

PS dont forget NEVER touch the die or heatsink contact are with barehands. ....Oils and skin cells = bad heat transfer medium !:D

If you get too messy with this method just clean the stuff off with some 99% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.

Sen.C

When applying my AS3 I found that I was too clumsy using a credit card so I just used a plastic bag over my finger stretched very tight. It worked really well and I could control the thickness quite easily.

That works. But I found that it is best to use a straight-edged device.(razors are best!!) so you get an even coating that is eqully thin and most imoportantly has no microscopic swirls, like a bagged finger would create.

Remember you want the paste to fill the microscopic canyons on the heatsink surface and allow the parts of the heatsink surface that can naturally touch the die to actually come into direct contact with the die (no paste between the two).
Th ebest way to achieve that would be (IMO) to use a coat of paste as evenly distributed across the surface as possible.
In co-relation, the best mating surface to an even coat on a die is a heatsink surface with its microscopic canyons pre-filled with paste before mating. This can be done by dabbing a bit of paste onto the alcohol cleaned surface of the heatsink contact plate, and rubbing the bpaste into the material.(with lots of force) After, just scrape the excess of with a razor blade (its edge parallel to the HS surface) :cool:

-I just dont see the bagged finger method yielding a flat die coating.

Make sure you have a heatsink that is well finished. If it isnt, and youre going for low temps and O/C'ing...lapp it!

Sen.C

I did the credit card spread with ceramique. I did it until i can't see the metallic reflection, but after i mounted my fan. Temp were higher and when i took the fan off, it seems like i didn't have enough paste for the paste to stick b/w heat spreader and heatsink...

As a matter of fact, I have yet to experiment with Ceramique.
I would assume it behaves and handles quite different from regular silver-nitrate. The thread starter, was talking about silver nitrate (AS5) so regarding your inquiry, you should consult someone with ceramique experience.

It does work on the same principle as the silver nitrates, so I assume it would be MUCH different (thin application and even spread) but thats just in MIO.

good luck buddy..

Sen.C

Hey there. This is the first time I've read the instructions and I was amazed by how AS5 is applied to Pentium 4's. Is this actually how we are suppose to do it? Just a little in the center and then place the heat sink on it?

Well I will finally get the AS5 this weekend and I'll do the straightedge method and see what results I get. I will do both my VGU and CPU so I can use the exces of one on the other.

Wish me luck.

BTW what brand of 80mm fans are any good? I have generic ones in my case and I think that is also another reason Y I have mid-high temps.

Back