• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS-5 is not what I expected!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, not to rain on the parade here, but I have installed AS5 the week that it came out and have let it cycle on and off like directions said and I see a bit WORSE performance than when I had PCM+ on it. ( Donning an asbestos suit for the flames ) My idle temps are about 1°C HIGHER and at load I am about 2°C HIGHER. I DID follow directions EXACTLY from AS site to the letter.
My temps seem to shoot up faster and stay there longer than with PCM+. AS5 is NOT a bad product BUT IMHO it did not perform as well as PCM+ for me. I saw no real difference between AS3 and AS5.

gah, all the people that say AS5 decreased their performance, and increased their temps, just make sure you apply the AS CORRECTLY, and wait for a while, timmybighands, maybe you should increase airflow? my rig, aircooled, with a little bit of shin-etsu thermal paste ( serenge was empty) with stock HSF idles in the 30°C area... its about 3c higher than my case temp... maybe your case is simply dang hot...

(from the piccie i saw u got Water cooling, maybe other things in your case produce heat to increase ambient temps..)

temps are taken with the side panels and top panel off... if you didnt notice the pics.

The lapping is done correctly. I sand and grind metal to mirror finishes for a living, so yeah- it's done right.

Nothing has changed except for the AS-5 and the length of my tubes. And the tube length is NOT adding 7C, dont even suggest it.

hmm, i saw the pics, didnt know you ran it like that though...

maybe.... the length of the tubing is causing it :santa2: lol joke :p

how hot does the waterblock feel when its running?

if re-applying AS5 doesnt work, then i dont know whats causing it..

w.o.a.: after re-applying AS5 let it settly, maybe that will clear it up..

edit: just thought of this... maybe the AS5 in the tube isnt mixed properly.. sometimes its more fluid or solid than it should be, because it was stored wrong...

lol, jognt. I just dont know guys. I have taken all your suggestions. When I re-applied the AS-5 correctly, my temps did drop some, but no-where near what the AS-3 had been. I guess I'll run it for a while and see if the temps drop in time. I sure hope so.

The block doesnt feel any worse than it had previously. It's warm, but not HOT. The temps arent terrible here, but annoying with the $ and effort I put into this WC setup.

a problem may be that there is still some AS3 residue left on the waterblock, and it may be interfering with the AS5's chemicals and stuff. so u may wanna try lapping again, and how high grit did u go? make sure that when u lap, dont use any poishing compound, it interferes with the as5's performance, i dont think lapping swiftech stuff helps, i hear they already have a very smooth base, lapping may have made it worse but im not sure about that...

yes, the surface was fairly smooth before I lapped, but took it to 2000grit with no polish. Again, I'm sure it's not my lapping job.

Also, I cleaned the block and cpu with 70% rubbing alcohol. Perhaps there is some residue leftover. However, visually the block looked clean.

Timmybighands said:
yes, the surface was fairly smooth before I lapped, but took it to 2000grit with no polish. Again, I'm sure it's not my lapping job.

Also, I cleaned the block and cpu with 70% rubbing alcohol. Perhaps there is some residue leftover. However, visually the block looked clean.

actully theres been a lot of controversy over lapping past 1000 grit, lots of ppl say it wont do much...

dalilman52 said:

actully theres been a lot of controversy over lapping past 1000 grit, lots of ppl say it wont do much...

whatever it did, it could only have made the block smoother than it was :)

maybe the 70% alcohol is bugging it up... do you know what the other 30% is?

Heh, ... if you think AS5 is thick you should try Shin Etsu G-751.
It's like spreading modeling clay or peanut butter.
But the results are wort it. :)

Susquehannock said:
Heh, ... if you think AS5 is thick you should try Shin Etsu G-751.
It's like spreading modeling clay or peanut butter.
But the results are wort it. :)

im pretty sure the shin-etsu stuff is better for heatsinks that are rougher, AS5 works better on lapped heatsinks

I dont think it's counterfeit. It came from SVC.com and it's in an official AS5 3gram tube.

Yea, if it came from SVC, it's real. Maybe a bad batch? It's not too expensive, maybe get another tube from another retailer and try that.

Back