• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 still good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I'm going to replace my stock heatsink, I'm going to get a Hyper 212+ or Evo, and I have some AS5 that I used for a cpu swap a couple of years ago. It hasn't been stored in good conditions; The temperature range it has been exposed to has probably been ~ 30F - 100F (-1C - 38C), and high humidity during the summer months. It also appears to have leaked (maybe some sort of solvent that is in it?). It still appears to be the same color and everything, but I'm not too sure if the conditions it has been exposed to may have ruined it.

If it isn't any good, what are the best thermal compounds to use? I would especially like a good performing compound that can last a long time (in better conditions this time) as I don't know when I'll use it next.

I would not trust it after the leak. AS5 and MX2, MX4 are the best choices for cost to performance ratio.

What about the compound that comes with the Hyper 212? I'm assuming it's not that great. I would love to knock off a couple degrees or more, but 1 degree wouldn't be worth it to me. I would rather just use what's included if it doesn't make much of a difference.

The stuff that comes with the Hyper212 isn't terrible stuff, it's perfectly fine to use.

Ok, I'm probably just going to use it then to save a few dollars. Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm going to go with the 212+, looks like it performs pretty much the same as the 212 Evo, and if I want to I can spend the ~$10 I save on a second fan, or a single better fan for it.

Ok, I'm probably just going to use it then to save a few dollars. Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm going to go with the 212+, looks like it performs pretty much the same as the 212 Evo, and if I want to I can spend the ~$10 I save on a second fan, or a single better fan for it.
second fan makes a nice bit of improvement.

I'm not planning on doing a very heavy overclock. Maybe ~4.6GHz AT MOST for a full GHz more speed, but that's about it. I just need to get off this piece-of-crap stock cooler. :p

Back