• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 990FX fatality killer mobo not regulating cpu fan speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FX

Before, I had a gigabyte 970A-UD3P and it would change my V8 GTS's fan speed accordingly depending on the cpu's temperature, just like any other normal mobo. The mobo ended up getting damaged and I replaced it with an ASRock 990FX fatality killer and I also kept the V8 GTS. I thought it would be an all around better board but the annoying part is that in the BIOS, it instead has Level 1-9 fan speeds and it doesn't idle/ramp up automatically based on the current temps. I don't know if it's possible with this board, or if mines just defective, but it's just plain annoying having the fan constantly be at 1200rpm for both idling on the desktop, and playing something like skyrim on ultra.

The reason I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not is because I want to overclock my FX-6300 but at the same time I don't want my fans to only spin at 1200rpm with an overclock, but if I do make the fan speed higher to accomodate for the overclock, that means having an even louder fan speed for minimal things like idling at the desktop.

So my question is, is this normal for this type of asrock board? Or is there a way to make the fans speed change just like my gigabyte one did? :-/

So if you go in the BIOS to the HW Monitor Tab, then to CPU Fan 1 & 2 Setting, and change it to Automatic Mode does it change?

If you choose automatic mode, you also have to choose a Level between 1-9. Level 1 is around 1200rpm and Level 9 is around 1700rpm. And once you choose one, it doesn't move from that rpm unless your cpu heats up to a certain point. The only other option is "Full On" which makes the fan spin at max

Tomorrow I'm going to install an SSD and completely clean up my PC, I'm also gonna go through with the overclock then. That's when I'll do all the regular option changes such as taking off cool n quiet

Just about everyone with AMD or Intel board expect Asrock fan control to work with a fan control curve but Asrock does not have it setup that way.

Asrock's fan control from bios lets you get off of Auto and go to manual and pick a fan speed and a temperature. When that temp is exceeded the fan basically goes to full speed ahead. And "should" drop back to the set fan speed after the 'turn-on temp' is lowered again. That is how Asrock designed it.

Now I hear that going to Manual Overclock mode and setitng up the cpu has made the fan control situation some better. YMMV.

Also it seems that F-Stream ships with that Fatal KILLER board and it has fan control in it. You might try it.

Other than either of the two tips above...it is set a fan speed and temp and exceed the temp and the fan basically goes full fan speed until temp drops. About it. It is an Asrock not an Asus mobo most assuredly when it comes to fan controlling from board bios.
RGone...ster.

I have a new version of this board and its giving me issues, not with fan speed but cpu vcore wont change correctly. Previous board i had of this worked ok it seems.

Back