• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme 3 970 + AMD FX-4100 OC WoW Lagging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkoiou

So with the above components, and an ASUS EGTX550ti 1gb GDDR5 graphics card, I would expect the overclocked 4.6 ghz, stable, and 16gb of DDR3 1600 Kingston hyperX ram, and a cool master cpu fan (20$ one) would allow WoW to run like legend....

but at 1920x1200 its lagging at less than 1fps on ultra settings. I have to turn down the shadows to fair/low, and textures to mid range just to play...

Core temps are a stable 44-46 degrees Celcius in HWMonitor, stressed they reached around 66 d Cel.
Mobo bios is 1.2, and I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, DirectX 11.

I am not too sure if my mobo settings are bottlenecking the graphics card on the game, or if the graphics is bottlenecking the cpu or if it is windows?

When I get home tonight I can post my mobo settings. I have left the ram timing to auto b/c I am not familiar with overclocking other than using multipliers and following forums on what to disable in bios (if I did this correctly to begin with).

Can anyone tell me optimal settings for a stable OC, timing for my ram, and why the hell WoW (an old game) runs like crap. People online have stated running Battlefield 3 on this cpu with a 560 can be done at 30fps on ultra settings with 8gb of ram.... so what gives :(

PS. Windows system properties says 16gb of ram (12 usable)...<- how come?

Surprisingly, WoW will bring a better system to its knees in highly populated areas. Most say to turn shadows down in the first place.

One thing I notice however is are the 66C 'load' temps which is too warm for that CPU (you want to be no higher than 55C really). The 550ti is a lower midrange card and 1920x1200 is a lot of pixels to push for a 1GB card, especially with loads of AA on.

Surprisingly, WoW will bring a better system to its knees in highly populated areas. Most say to turn shadows down in the first place.

One thing I notice however is are the 66C 'load' temps which is too warm for that CPU (you want to be no higher than 55C really). The 550ti is a lower midrange card and 1920x1200 is a lot of pixels to push for a 1GB card, especially with loads of AA on.

Based on my room (which is always hot) it is actually running a LOT cooler than my last comp [a p4]. (I think it gets hot from my surround sound receiver...)

As for the highly populated areas, i was all alone with some npc baddies randomly scattered in the remote area 30-50 game meters apart.

How can I lower the temp of the cpu? I think even at stock settings it will run around 55-60 d cel... and how can people play battlefield 3 on ultra settings with my setup +/- ram and video card differences?

My GPU also has something called Smart Doctor or something like that by Asus.... is that worth having installed? some people say it stops the card from overheating, and it has OC options in it, but I'm scared to burn the card out. any suggestion on settings as well?
Thanks again

Does wow support multi-threaded applications? IIRC it is pretty CPU dependent. If that's the case, it may be due to the FX4100.

Back