• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock... meh... Wish I had bought Evga...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I reciently switched from an E8400 and Evga 750i FTW SLI to an ASRock Z77 Extreme 3. All I did was switch out the mobo, CPU (to an Ivy Bridge 3570K) and the RAM. The hard drive and everything else remained untouched. Well, for some reason, when I started my new mobo up for the first time, I got an unpassable BSOD loop. I tried using Windows Repair (from the DVD) and system restore, but neither could fix the issue. I tried stipping my computer down to nothing but a single stick of RAM, the CPU and one hard drive. Still no fix. I tried running Windows memtest on both of my sticks of RAM (tested individually in different slots) and both sticks passed. I dont know what the heck could have happened. I went from a fully-functional operating system to a dead stick solely from swapping the mobo and processor, neither of which should have had any affect on the hard drive.

Regardless, being used to Evga's great customer service, after giving up I decided to look up ASRock's phone number. To my surprise, they dont really have any worthwhile technical support it seems.

The moral of the story is that I should have stuck with Evga instead of trying to save a few dollars. With that said, I do like ASRock's BIOS and I am interested to see how the mobo performs once I actually get it functional. But their lack of ability to create a professionally-written manual (their manual looks like it was written by a 7th grader) and lack of real support is not very appealing.

Its very, very common for windows to bluescreen loop any time you change a motherboard. And even when it works, it often doesnt work right. Expect to reinstall windows when you upgrade the motherboard, no matter the brand.

This is a user error!

1. Did you setup the SATA ports for the correct settings to accept your harddrive?
2. 99.99999999999999% its worth re installing OS when you replace a motherboard. Windows is setup to run with the motherboard during installation, when you go an upgrade, those settings from the old board will remain, but Windows 7, at least makes an effort to make it work.

I have have had many AsRock boards over the past year, changed without formatting, without issues.

If you had bought an EVGA motherboard as an upgrade, odds are you'd be in the same situation with maybe better support, thats about it.

Hi and sorry to hear of your problems buddy, but Supertrucker and Pierre3400 are right. If you don't do a clean windows install you will get driver conflicts across the board. Its a good time to do a fresh install anyway, after you get it all up and running do a backup and your good to go. Personally i have had 4 Asrock boards and never had a problem, i know what you mean about the manual, its in the best CHINGLISH lol. Good luck

Well, good to hear it is not a mobo issue. What exactly am I supposed to set with regard to the SATA ports?

Without knowing what you came from, in the bios, around the hdd/ssd setup (i cant remember where, and my AsRock system isnt running ATM)

You will find option to pick between IDE or ahci. If HDD does not boot into windows with any of these, then you have to take the long way and do a full reinstall, which as said, would be the best option anyway.

Wait a minute, you said SATA. Why would the BIOS be set to IDE on a mobo that does not even have an IDE port? Wouldn't AHCI be the only option?

Wait a minute, you said SATA. Why would the BIOS be set to IDE on a mobo that does not even have an IDE port? Wouldn't AHCI be the only option?
SPL, as said above your best bet is to do a clean install, though if you go into the settings, switching it from AHCI to IDE should allow it to boot right up. There is also a way to change it in the registry, though I personally have never done it.

SPL, as said above your best bet is to do a clean install, though if you go into the settings, switching it from AHCI to IDE should allow it to boot right up. There is also a way to change it in the registry, though I personally have never done it.

I am doing a clean install. I am just curious as to how there could be an IDE setting on a SATA port, as they are completely different interfaces. If the mobo only has SATA ports, how could the BIOS default to IDE?

^^ This. Has nothing to do with the brand. :)

haha yes, PEBKAC. However, I dont take back what I said about their non-existent technical support and crappy manual. :) Evga is still better in both those respects. :salute: I am, however, really digging their 1-click BIOS flash update and in-BIOS mouse support.

there will be alot more that you like. I have been using asrock boards for a bit over a year and have like all 3 of the ones I have purchased.

I am doing a clean install. I am just curious as to how there could be an IDE setting on a SATA port, as they are completely different interfaces. If the mobo only has SATA ports, how could the BIOS default to IDE?

Its a setting on how it reads it, i dont know the details on it, but you should have set af ahci if you a doing a clean setup.

I am, however, really digging their 1-click BIOS flash update and in-BIOS mouse support.

All new bios these days have mouse support, i still use keyboard to get around, but with that said, the AsRock bios is IMO one the easiest to get around and learn to understand. I have had MSI (z77 chipset) that bios was horrible, I currently run mt second rig with Asus Maximus V Gene, that bios also looks, feels, and is horrible compared to the AsRock.

IDE mode != IDE port. It's a legacy mode for people coming from older platforms. Chances are pretty high that your old board was using SATA ports in IDE mode and your new one defaults to AHCI. Look in your storage options and change SATA mode to IDE mode. You will probably get past the BSOD loop.

That said, if it does continue to BSOD, it's still not the board's fault. You're trying to come three full microarchitecture generations without re-installing windows. It's generally a bad idea to go just one generation. Trying to go three, especially with zero apparent preparation (uninstalling all drivers at the very least) is a recipe for disaster.

just a heads up, if this is happening, you can use a program called fix IDE to correct the boot loop problem when changing motherboards.
plug the drive into another pc
load up fix ide, select the widnows install of the problem drive
fix
put the drive back in your pc. works for me every time. be sure your pc is in IDE mode though. you can go in and do the ahci driver fixes after you get into windows or whatever.

just a heads up, if this is happening, you can use a program called fix IDE to correct the boot loop problem when changing motherboards.
plug the drive into another pc
load up fix ide, select the widnows install of the problem drive
fix
put the drive back in your pc. works for me every time. be sure your pc is in IDE mode though. you can go in and do the ahci driver fixes after you get into windows or whatever.

Thanks for that, will keep that in my memory banks for work :)

IDE mode != IDE port. It's a legacy mode for people coming from older platforms. Chances are pretty high that your old board was using SATA ports in IDE mode and your new one defaults to AHCI. Look in your storage options and change SATA mode to IDE mode. You will probably get past the BSOD loop.

So what then, are you saying that my old mobo was emulating the drive as IDE/ PATA protocol at 133MBps instead of SATA at 300 MBps? I dont understand why my old mobo would use a PATA protocol on a SATA port with a SATA drive if it could just use SATA/ AHCI instead. I mean, AHCI came out, when, like pre 2006? My older mobo and drive was made after that so I would envision they would support AHCI.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying it was operating in IDE mode, which has very little to do with IDE/PATA speeds and ports. Google is your friend, but to save you some time, go read this.

Back