• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock V3.1 Mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotrod717

Now that AsRock and MSI have new versions to keep up with Asus and Gigabyte, I'm wondering where the reviews, info, ect, ect. is. Granted the average user won't appreciate the OC socket, but benchers absolutely will. The x99m V3.1 Killer is trending, but I don't see anything here pertaining to it or the other new offerings :confused:

X99 is not really popular comparing to other series because of higher price and DDR4. Benchers are maybe 1% users ... so you will find maybe 5 forum members who actually care that new ASRock and MSI boards have OC sockets. Almost all who wanted it, already got ASUS RVE or similar boards which are available for over half year. Not to mention that MSI is not really popular brand for extreme overclocking and ASRock Killer is more gaming series which is related to Fatality series ... and these had let's say average reviews if we look at overclocking. No matter how good is it, it's not so easy to convince some users to spend money on a board like that.

Personally I won't touch anything from MSI soon. Already had 2 RMA for their X99 board and it's simply too fragile for extreme benching.
I'm curious how much is really giving that new ASRock board but not so much to spend $320 ( local price ).

Took the plunge and have x99 OCF v3.1 incoming. Guess I'll have to find/supply the info.
So far, v3.1 is said to have same 6 alternate voltages that show up in bios as Giga Champion. With the Champion vl6 is the key voltage. Have been told with Asrock , Cache PLL voltage is the key to successful cache overclock and same 1.40-1.55v range as with Champion.
One major plus for LN2 is Asrock's conformal coating. Can't help but hope for some nice ram presets as with the z97 OCF.
Guess I'll find out later this week.

I look forward to seeing what the board can do! Keep us posted hotrod!

Will do. Look forward to having a second x99 mobo and may actually have a chance to get my head around ddr4. Z97 OCF was my favorite for DC and hope for some great results.

I wonder how it's with scalling on 4 Samsung sticks above 3200. I saw that many IC are not fully visible above ~3200. On Micron it's usually happening above 3000, on Samsung above 3200 and on Hynix are problems at high voltage above some clock ( 3100-3400 depends from chip quality ).
On Samsung I could easily run @3500 on 1 stick but when I was trying to use 4 sticks then 1-2 were not visible above ~3250.
Actually most overclockers who claim they can run 3200-3400+ on tight timings are usually running on 2-3 sticks only but software is usually showing 4 modules / quad channel.

Samsung lowered price for their IC and DDR4 price is now much lower so it's easier to get 3200+ kit. I saw that Geil released quite cheap ( and ugly ) 3400 kits. I will think to maybe get one for tests if I sell something what I already have. Specs isn't any special as only CL16-18-18 but usually it's problem to pass some clock wall, not to tighten timings.

In my bench rig I have now 2x 16GB Ripjaws4 3000 15-15-15 and 15-16-16. Both Hynix and are running as 8x4GB@3200 15-15-15 1.35V. Quite good for everything. So why 2 kits ? ... because I don't like to see one of them collecting dust and regardless if I use 4 or 8 sticks, results are the same @3200+. Both kits can also make 3000 CL10 so I don't really want to sell them in current prices.

Guess i'll find out about Samsung as I have a set of those "ugly sticks". Geil Superluce and at 3400 thought cl16 is actually pretty good. On the other side I have a set of Kingston 2666c13. Should get a good range of results with those 2 kits. Ram is something I fancy, but definitely my weak point.

In for the results, know a lot of the SPI guys are flocking to the Killer for mem performance.
Have to think the ocf will be close or on par with this new version.
May have to look at this board as well although I hate spending money on another x99 board.
Really want to see how this affects 3D results as 2D does not really concern me so much.

Sure you will be liking conformal in our neck of the woods as this humidity is crazy

In for the results, know a lot of the SPI guys are flocking to the Killer for mem performance.
Have to think the ocf will be close or on par with this new version.
May have to look at this board as well although I hate spending money on another x99 board.
Really want to see how this affects 3D results as 2D does not really concern me so much.

Sure you will be liking conformal in our neck of the woods as this humidity is crazy

Since I already have mobo capable of cache oc, don't think I'll really see a huge swing, but since I'll have some time to play with ram, should see improvements on some 3d benches just by strapping and running some higher ram clocks. Vantage and 3d11 for sure. Im hoping to have a little better stability and efficiency. This is what I saw on z97 OCF compared to Asus and Giga on that platform. The conformal coating is certainly a big plus.

Yup, most new kits are based on Samsung IC and actually most are similar. Probably all new G.Skills are on Samsung now as this IC is the cheapest and let to set higher clocks at lower voltage.
Personally I don't like Geil as their memory often barely run as specified but if you know how to set them then you can make good results. Quality of the modules is good , it's just that they never make good memory profiles.

Problem with most Samsungs is that they won't run at tight timings. These 3400 Geils have CL16 but I don't think you will make them run much tighter. For comparison your Kingston kit is Hynix based and will probably make something like 3200 CL13-14 at higher voltages and depends from luck maybe 3400 CL15 or something near.
For me best IC for 3000 or below is Micron as you can make them run at ~2666 10-10-10 or ~3000 12-12-12 ~1.4-1.5V where even best Hynix requires 1.65V+ for something like 3000 10/11-13-14.

On this one I had 1st spot in hwbot competition - Crucial Elite kit which is specified at 2666 16-17-17 but I made it run @2750 10-10-11 1.45V.

1.jpg

One more Micron 3000 12-12-12 1.45V

2.jpg

Samsung will probably start to shine when you set them at 3500+ and tight sub timings but I had no chance to check it.
I also see that Ripjaws4 3200 CL16 ( the one with fans ) is about $50 cheaper than Geil. There was also Mushkin 3200 15-15-15 in about the same price but they are out of stock for like 3 weeks now.

Yup, most new kits are based on Samsung IC and actually most are similar. Probably all new G.Skills are on Samsung now as this IC is the cheapest and let to set higher clocks at lower voltage.
Personally I don't like Geil as their memory often barely run as specified but if you know how to set them then you can make good results. Quality of the modules is good , it's just that they never make good memory profiles.

Problem with most Samsungs is that they won't run at tight timings. These 3400 Geils have CL16 but I don't think you will make them run much tighter. For comparison your Kingston kit is Hynix based and will probably make something like 3200 CL13-14 at higher voltages and depends from luck maybe 3400 CL15 or something near.
For me best IC for 3000 or below is Micron as you can make them run at ~2666 10-10-10 or ~3000 12-12-12 ~1.4-1.5V where even best Hynix requires 1.65V+ for something like 3000 10/11-13-14.

On this one I had 1st spot in hwbot competition - Crucial Elite kit which is specified at 2666 16-17-17 but I made it run @2750 10-10-11 1.45V.

View attachment 166121

One more Micron 3000 12-12-12 1.45V

View attachment 166122

Samsung will probably start to shine when you set them at 3500+ and tight sub timings but I had no chance to check it.
I also see that Ripjaws4 3200 CL16 ( the one with fans ) is about $50 cheaper than Geil. There was also Mushkin 3200 15-15-15 in about the same price but they are out of stock for like 3 weeks now.
Fortunately got the Geil for a song with free 240gb ssd about 2 months ago. Much cheaper than Gskills. Sure to be looking for pointers.

Nice deal on that memory. 240GB still has some value and is good for benching. I even wanted to order one of these "ugly" Geils today but later I saw my bank account what made me really sad. Maybe I will get something for review in 2-3 weeks but for sure not from Geil as they are not providing review samples.

Btw. yesterday I said that my 8x4GB Gskill is working fine @3200 CL15-15-15 1.35V ... when I back from work it decided that won't run like that anymore. 6 sticks are working fine in any slots and any combination. When I put 8 then 2 are not visible ... 3 months I had no problems using exactly the same settings ( except that board was in RMA for a month :p ). Something similar was happening with some Z77/Z87/Z97 and X79 boards. I had that with 2x MVG and RIVE, after replacing CPU socket one of the boards was working fine. RIVE in my 24/7 PC still has problems with one of the TridentX 2400 C9 kits which is working fine on other boards. At least I had 2 more kits on the same IC so I could replace it.

Edit:
When I back from work today then all 32GB was working fine @3200 again ... I have no idea why it's acting like that. 100% stable in everything I was doing this evening.

Last edited:
Received Asrock X99 OCF v3.1 today, am a bit miffed. No conformal coating. After searching around I can't find any mention of it either. A little disappointed. Was looking forward to less worry freezing. Don't quite understand why they put it on previous models, but not this?

I can not believe they dumped the coating, this is what really set the OCF brand apart from the rest of the pack IMO

I am sure the board is solid, but have to say they would have been better off charging a little more and keeping it or

get rid of the 3.1 add on card ????

I can not believe they dumped the coating, this is what really set the OCF brand apart from the rest of the pack IMO

I am sure the board is solid, but have to say they would have been better off charging a little more and keeping it or

get rid of the 3.1 add on card ????

Just got word from Splave, no more conformal on any AsRock mobo's. They couldn't do any repairs on RMA's and had to send brand new mobo's. Losing money on boards with conformal. Mobo is still solid and absolutely love the bios. Soooooo much better than the Champion. I feel a lot more comfortable with this. I would like to do some sort of coating on this before freezing though.

Last edited:
Probably my friend will take from me MSI X99 and some other parts so I was thinking to maybe get X99M Killer but USB 3.1 version costs ~$85 more than the USB 3.0 :-/

Back