• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock V3.1 Mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got word from Splave, no more conformal on any AsRock mobo's. They couldn't do any repairs on RMA's and had to send brand new mobo's. Losing money on boards with conformal. Mobo is still solid and absolutely love the bios. Soooooo much better than the Champion. I feel a lot more comfortable with this. I would like to do some sort of coating on this before freezing though.

That's a drag, it was nice while it lasted

Since I had a chance to replace some hardware without special costs then I ordered X99M Killer/3.1. Should arrive in the middle of next week.

Got the board plastic oates pretty good. First time so one two things I'd do different next time. Will be testing on water at least this week, to get a feel for the board.
I still haven't found much on a manual voltage setting for the oc socket that helps with cache as the Champion did. It seems as though there may not be one atm. However, it does oc cache. Reached 48/45 on my 5820 quite easily and at slightly less voltage than Champion. It must be adding additional voltage to pins somehow. There is a setting called offset cache voltage. I'm in override mode so this doesn't have anything to do with adaptive. It is set to auto, but gives + .50v/ - .50v. The x99m Killer on the otherhand has a manual aux voltage called cache pll. From what I gather this was added after release and custom bios passed off by Nick Shih himself.
Have a few pm' s out inquiring about cache oc on ocf v3.1. Hopefully get some good info soon.

Last edited:
On ASUS there is no additional voltage and it goes up to x53 ( maybe more but I was focusing on some other settings for some competition ). OC socket should be enough while additional voltages can help to make higher clock ( probably more on weak chips ). On the other hand I don't know what's the limit for additional cache voltage. I wouldn't be happy to see sudden CPU death after some tests like it was with 1150 haswells. 2 chips were working without issues for about 2 weeks after harder pushing and then just died while regular work. I don't know how it's related to tests. Maybe had too high voltage or it's something else. Anyway I have too many RMA caused by weird things ( usually not my fault ).

I've noticed that even the cheapest MSI from OC series have now OC socket. I don't know if they are offering them with OC socket for longer as some boards are listed in distribution under the same PN since April.

It's weird to make 3 posts in a row but well ... I just opened ASRock X99M Killer 3.1 and it had 2 bent cpu pins. Clearly someone made it while installing "protective" cap which looks like designed for non-OC socket boards.

I fixed these 2 pins and now look like brand new. However I couldn't make this board boot using Kingston/Hynix memory at all. After maybe 30 mins fight it started to work on 1 Crucial/Micron module in last memory slot.
Let's say that so far I'm not really impressed ...

It works with The Kingston Hyper X Predator kit I have (4x4GB DDR4 3K CL15)...HX430C15PB2K4/16. And worked under whatever bios I was on when I reviewed that board a few months ago.

Not sure if those are Hynix though? I would assume so.

My board is also not r3.1...

My board is 3.1 and it's different even though it looks similar.
The board came with BIOS 1.00. After some fight I made it run and flashed BIOS to 1.30. After some more fight I made it boot with all 4 Kingston sticks. At first I couldn't make it see memory in 2nd slot ... actually it was one of the main reasons why I switched from Asus.

Weird was also BIOS flashing, I saw it browsing files, it actually showed me BIOS file but then said that can't find any file. 3rd flash drive worked even though all were Fat32.

Edit:
Kingston Fury 4x4GB is working fine @2666 so stock
New 5820K so far passed some tests @4.2GHz 1.15V , right now is running in 3DM Vantage @4.3GHz 1.15V
Tomorrow I will check other memory kits and I have to finish HyperX Fury tests as thread in memory section has only results on stock ;)

Edit2:
5820k passed physics tests @4.5GHz 1.20V

Last edited:
My board is 3.1 and it's different even though it looks similar.
The board came with BIOS 1.00. After some fight I made it run and flashed BIOS to 1.30. After some more fight I made it boot with all 4 Kingston sticks. At first I couldn't make it see memory in 2nd slot ... actually it was one of the main reasons why I switched from Asus.

Weird was also BIOS flashing, I saw it browsing files, it actually showed me BIOS file but then said that can't find any file. 3rd flash drive worked even though all were Fat32.

Edit:
Kingston Fury 4x4GB is working fine @2666 so stock
New 5820K so far passed some tests @4.2GHz 1.15V , right now is running in 3DM Vantage @4.3GHz 1.15V
Tomorrow I will check other memory kits and I have to finish HyperX Fury tests as thread in memory section has only results on stock ;)

Edit2:
5820k passed physics tests @4.5GHz 1.20V

Ram OC is broken on OCF v3.1. Will not run anything above 2666. Strapping doesn't stick and there isn't a traditional divider setting. Only shows infrequencies, no 21.33, 24.00, ect. Will not multiply frequency by bclk. Even using presets, reverts to 2000mhz, if it boots.
Everything else works great.
Woomack, ocn ram addicts thread has beta bios 1.33 for x99m killer. This bios has aux voltage for cache oc, Cache pll. Maybe works better for ram on that board.

Thanks for info. It's actually the only thread I'm checking on ocn from time to time. Let's say I don't like how many forum members are acting there and I guess I'm not the only one with that feeling.

Regarding memory. I had no time to check anything above 2666 but all X99 boards work in the same way. Some ratios are working, some not. Usually it's like 21.33, 24.00, 26.00, 26.66 and then some boards will work at 30.00 and 32.00. Anything else can be set using higher straps so 2800, 3000, 3250, 3333, ... on 125bclk. I bet that when you set 2800 manually but strap is auto then board can set it to 100 instead of 125 ( actually 2750 as 2800 is 127.3 bclk ).
That are just my thoughts for now as I had no chance to test much more than stock settings on 2 memory kits.

Btw. I thought that problems with 2nd memory slot ( or maybe channel ) are mainly because of motherboard but for some reason the same is happening on ASUS and ASRock using Hynix sticks. On ASUS when I switched to Crucial Elite then all was working fine @2666 12-12-12. 2 kits of Ripjaws 3000/Hynix are sometimes not fully visible even at auto 2133.
I saw the same on screenshots from other users. Many think that memory is working as quad channel but often 1 stick is missing even though system or maybe CPUZ is showing that they run 16/32GB in quad channel.
Something like that was happening on Micron above 3000 and Samsung at 3200 or higher but on Hynix it's happening even at lower clocks and at least with Ripjaws4 ( 8x 4GB Hynix rated 3000 C15 ) the more I'm using them, the more problems I see. Maybe some coincidence with other issues.

Edit:
I haven't found 1.33 beta but there is 1.31 which is reported as good version with these additional options.
Will check that after work.

Edit2:
I saw some comments that other users also had bent CPU pins on some of these new ASRock boards.

Last edited:
Splave is working on a beta for this like the x99m killer. I'm hoping that will clear up these issues I'm having. Had none of this on Champ. Was really hoping I was derping, but I tried everything possible. If bclk isn't multiplying target dram frequency, cpuid and other software isn't reporting set frquency, and presets aren't working, I don't believe it's me I'm going to try flashing both bios chips. It is literally the only thing I haven't done.

Okay, finally got correct frequency showing when strapped. Only thing i did was switch back and forth between bios' a few times and bam, it started working. IDK, but i'll take it. Relieved to get it showing right. On to actually getting it to boot in at 3000mhz. Anything other than lossening timings, raising dram voltage, and sys agent voltage to get 4x4 sticks to run??

I made couple of tests yesterday but still on last official 1.30 BIOS version ( I simply forgot to flash it to 1.31 and already started to test something ).
I had no problems to make it work at 2750, 3000, 3200, 3333 using mainly auto settings. Results on HyperX FURY are here.
2750 15-15-15 1.20V / 125 bclk strap
3000 15-15-15 1.30V / 125 bclk strap
3200 15-15-15 1.35V / 100 bclk strap
3333 16-17-17/16-18-18 1.35-1.40 / 125 bclk strap <- this was unstable and at this clock 1-2 sticks were randomly invisible

Well that's the ram I have, 4x4GB Hyper X Fury 2666c13.
Once I saw target showing I hoped everything would be okay. I didn't have much time time to fiddle as I spent most the time I did have testing between bios and correct frequency didn't pop up until very end. I believe my next step will be reflashing both bios' from scratch. Tonight and tomorrow morning, i have other ambition.

I assume you have Predator series and these were all on Hynix. Actually 2666 c13, 2800 c14 and 3000 c15 are on the same IC and in most cases are overclocking the same.
My Fury 2666 kit is acting exactly the same as 3000 c15 Predator kit which I was testing some time ago ( it's in my memory test thread ).
All I had to do on Fury to make it run higher on ASRock Killer was to change bclk to 100 or 125, set main timings to 15-15-15-35 1N ( yesterday in all cases were the same settings ) and voltage 1.20-1.35V depends from clock.

I will test that Fury kit some more and I noticed I haven't made Ripjaws4 3000 C15-15-15 thread so I will test it too and add it to the list. Actually both are on almost the same IC or at least are scalling almost the same.

Reflashed bios' and reinstalled Intel ME and all is well. Hopefully be getting that bios for aux cache voltage soon, although it doesn't seem to limit atm. On LN2 it may be a factor in pushing max clocks.

Just to show it working-
SPi - Demo -3000mhz.png

Back