• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someone1029

I bought this motherboard a couple of months ago along with some other new gear, and it was running fine for a while with no issues whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago I started experiencing random BSoDs of the nondescript IRQL not less or equal variety. After some troubleshooting I discovered that the HDD I was using as my system drive was at the end of it's life, so I replaced it.

With the new HDD in place Windows installed fine, and I was able to install all the drivers without any hiccups. A couple of hours later, however, the system started blue-screening again; this time with random error codes that were different each time. When I tried booting the system again all I got was POST code 45. The system will now only POST with ram in slots 1 and/or 2; slots 3 and 4 cause the system to throw that 45 code at me. Even when it does POST, Windows BSoDs during the 'Starting Windows' screen; something it never did before.

After some reading it was suggested that I manually set the RAM voltage to 1.5 instead of Auto. It was at this point that I discovered that the BIOS wont actually let me click on most of the settings! The only settings I have been able to modify are the boot options, and I can click on some (not all) of the sub-menus. Even after clearing the CMOS (using both the button as well as removing the battery) and re-flashing the latest BIOS I still can't modify any settings.

I would consider myself fairly experienced when it comes to this sort of thing, but at the moment I'm just lost. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of to troubleshoot the issue: reseating the CPU, trying the RAM in all possible configurations, just using the iGPU, only having the system drive plugged in, etc. I just don't understand what could be causing all these issues.

The board shipped with that BIOS installed, but I had re-flashed it just in case it had become corrupt or similar (as it used to work fine). Didn't fix the problem, but I am now running BIOS v1.15 which is a beta release. This release fixed the menu selection issue (although broke mouse support), however all other issues remain.

Hi there. Here's a tip for you as it's been known to affect your situtation. It's your RAM. Vengeance and our boards don't work well together. As I did some research ASRock doesn't even have the Vengeance ram listed for this board to be used. Switch out your ram and I promise you'll be fine.

Hope this helps!!

Unfortunately swapping out the RAM is not an option for me. What I don't get though, is that if they aren't compatible why was the system running fine for months?

Thinking back, the issue started after installing drivers from the supplied CD. Is there anything on there that could have possibly triggered this? I have a feeling that it may have been Intel ME (don't even know why I installed it seeing as I'll never likely use it).

Try reseating the CPU. It helped me with some RAM problems on 1156, give it a try. And, yea, also set the memory values manually. XMP usually likes to mess stuff up, at least based on my experience.

Unfortunately swapping out the RAM is not an option for me. What I don't get though, is that if they aren't compatible why was the system running fine for months?

Thinking back, the issue started after installing drivers from the supplied CD. Is there anything on there that could have possibly triggered this? I have a feeling that it may have been Intel ME (don't even know why I installed it seeing as I'll never likely use it).

It's your memory! I have seen this issue in the past. What other options do you have? Solution is to swap out the memory. Your memory isn't working. Run a mem-test if you can. Try that out!

Back