• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance with Building a new Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticPenguin

Currently im using a relatively new Apple MacPro 2.66 quad core 2gb 500gb apple computer but ive been very displeased with it, alot of bs issues that i never had to face in my computing days...i purchased it after selling a custom build i made about 6 months ago and wanted to test the waters. so my main goal is to re-sell the macpro system and build a new rig.

My last rig:
AMD Dual Core Opteron Denmark
DFI LanParty Ultra-D
nVidia 6800
2gb RAM
250GB harddrive
Creative Audigy ZS
2xDVDRW

i wasnt very satisfied with the DFI boards ive used ..alot of weird issues with Soundcards, DEP settings and alot of BSOD
just a very odd chipset or just me forgetting to set something up right.

But at any rate heres an idea of what im looking into doing if anyone can help with suggestions id greatly appreciate it.

Looking for a intel based motherboard for support for a newer Intel Dual Core CPU.
- PCI express expansions
- Graphics Card [ati preferred..but if theres a better suggestion id be open]
- Sound Card [maybe Azutech?]
- RAM
- and any advice on drivers such as video codecs/drivers, cpu drivers, audio drivers/codecs....

and woul di be best doing a clean install with XP PRO SP2 or Vista?
i was thinking of waitin gout a year before i change to vista. when its been settled..but any suggestions im up for !! thanks!!

if anyone would liek to help id greatly appreciate it

Well first off most important question how much are you looking to spend? i can't really set up a good rig without a price range my friend.

why not run bootcamp on your mac and run windows XP on it? see how that goes cause it looks pretty good as it is.

Yea how much do you want to spend? I just built my new rig, check the specs in the sig. I like it, i spent ALOT on it though.

im probably looking towards not spending too much more then 2000-2500 on it..but i suppose whatever i can resell my mac for. i mean the mac hardware is perfec ti jsut dont like their softwar and inconsistant crashes im not sure if im just an unlucky one..but theres major problems doing design work and multimedia stuff. it seem sliek everthign worked flawlessly on PCs for me. i currently have running bootcamp on a second harddrive in my macpro it works pretty fine like that, but im just looking into some ideas for a windows based machine.

so around 2500$ at the most, im looking into a dual core intel cpu with a very solid and stable mother board.

thanks alo!

Back