• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Astropluse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

Anyone else get these WUs commonly ?

I have 3, all look opt take about 40-50hrs to complete.

I know that Mictlans workpc has completed one at 84 hours - and got granted 759 CS...

I´m not sure if that box is optimized tough...

I'm hoping to!

Until now the AK_v8 app wouldn't let AstroPulse units run (unless you modified the *.xml file). But an optimizer for AstroPulse is out now and includes instructions for adding AstroPulse into the AK_v8 *.xml file.

Crunchin', crunchin' crunchin' ... ;)

I'm hoping to!

Until now the AK_v8 app wouldn't let AstroPulse units run (unless you modified the *.xml file). But an optimizer for AstroPulse is out now and includes instructions for adding AstroPulse into the AK_v8 *.xml file.

Crunchin', crunchin' crunchin' ... ;)

Do you have a link for the astropulse optimizer?

I think I'll hold off until they put out optimized apps that have SSSE3 optimizations minimum and hopefully with SSE4.1 for my QX. Everything I am running has SSSE3 optimizations on them.

I think I'll hold off until they put out optimized apps that have SSSE3 optimizations minimum and hopefully with SSE4.1 for my QX. Everything I am running has SSSE3 optimizations on them.
The AstroPulse optimizer doesn't replace the AK_v8 app, it just adds an AP app to it, so you might try it on one system just to see. You still use your AK_v8 SSSE3 apps for "normal" WU's you just modify the *.xml to reflect your normal AK_v8 app (the AP *.xml has NO calls for a normal WU app - it's meant as an add-on). From what I understand the AstroPulse optimizer cuts compute times WAY down - some people have reported a 100% gain (half the time to compute AstroPulse) with just SSE3.

Just a thought ... :)

Installed the optimized version to the dell box, q6600 and q9550 today. Going to be a few days before they start crunching them, but they are set to go.

Last edited:
The AstroPulse optimizer doesn't replace the AK_v8 app, it just adds an AP app to it, so you might try it on one system just to see. You still use your AK_v8 SSSE3 apps for "normal" WU's you just modify the *.xml to reflect your normal AK_v8 app (the AP *.xml has NO calls for a normal WU app - it's meant as an add-on). From what I understand the AstroPulse optimizer cuts compute times WAY down - some people have reported a 100% gain (half the time to compute AstroPulse) with just SSE3.

Just a thought ... :)

QI, can you post a sample of your app info.xml file you modified? I would like to see how you splice the AP optimizations in on yours. I spliced in on mine, but I don't know if I did it correctly. I'm trying it out on my laptop.

I've got a few AP units in my queue on the q6600, showing just over 12 hours to complete. They're still a few days out in the queue but I'll keep an eye on them.

Here's my app_info.xml file - the bottom half is the AP stuff. All you need do is copy the bottom half and insert it just above the last line (the closing "</app_info>" command) in your current app_info file. Just keep in mind - this is what I got off the SETI thread and it hasn't been tested yet. It looks like my first AP WU is still 2-3 days out ...

<app_info>
<app>
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>AK_v8_win_SSE3.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>517</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>AK_v8_win_SSE3.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app_version>
<version_num>527</version_num>
<file_ref>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app_version>
<version_num>528</version_num>
<file_ref>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>

<app>
<name>astropulse</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>ap_4.35rev24b54_SSE3.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>libfftw3f-3-1-1a_upx.dll</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>astropulse</app_name>
<version_num>435</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>ap_4.35rev24b54_SSE3.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>libfftw3f-3-1-1a_upx.dll</file_name>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
<app_version>
<app_name>astropulse</app_name>
<version_num>436</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>ap_4.35rev24b54_SSE3.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>libfftw3f-3-1-1a_upx.dll</file_name>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>

Last edited:
Hrmmm... I did what QuietIce said about adding to the .xml file when I downloaded it a few days ago, still no AP units. I probably broke BOINC.

It took a few days for me to get one as well. It's why I haven't managed to process one until this morning - it finally started but hasn't gone very far.

It runs kind of weird, like some of my Einstein units. It'll sit on the same "Time to complete" for awhile then start counting down by 2's & 3's for awhile then sit again for awhile ...

Last edited:
Looks like the Dell box is going to start its first AP unit tomorrow sometime, currently showing 43 hours to complete optimized. Given that's it roughly 3 times slower at numbercrunching than the quad, I'd say that might be a bit high, probably closer to 36 hours. Guess we'll see on Monday how it did.

Q6600 still has a few days to get to its AP units, and I'm not real enthused that Im going to get quick credit for it. WM on one of the AP units, has a RAC of 1.32 on a Turion laptop. Pretty sure that one is gonna get recycled. Not much better on the second one ... t2500 with a RAC of 123.54. Wonder if this has been an issue that's been brought up before. I certainly don't want to start running a bunch of 12 hour workunits only to have to wait months to get credit for them. Third one, I am the wingman, 79 (q9450) and 86k (e6750) unoptimized processed times. Not sure what CPU speed since both were using unoptimized clients, but I would like to think that I could halve the q9450's time pretty easily (BOINC is showing 11h 59m right now)

Last edited:
yeah i have like 45 ap wus... kinda weird ause there are no seti ones...

also most wus are credite d very fast, some take liek a day, currently have 2,047 credit pending.

Back