• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Remove

I am RMAing my Epox mobo tommorow and have been researching all night long for a repleacement board. I have decided on the ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530 ) since I will probably go 8800 before I go SLI again. I based my decision mainly on folks posts here and customer reviews at Newegg and through Google searches. I will cross post this in the AMD mobo section also for wider coverage but if a Mod must delete I understand. Please the one in Asus section.

I will be running the following components on it and just wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts/input/warnings before I order this. Probably by lunch tommorow.

Components:

-Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache w/ an AC Freezer 64 Pro
-4x PC3200 ram - (my son grabbed the tight OCZ while I'm waiting on parts so when I build it will probably be some Kingston Value ram and I'll upgrade it later)
eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR GeForce 7900GTO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (OS drive)
-2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (storage)
-AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz sound card

It looks like a winner to me. The A8N series are solid boards. I had the A8N-Sli Deluxe and it was a really good board. Nice features too. The one problem I did'nt like was the lack of vcore. The max in bios was 1.55v. Board overvolted a tad to 1.63v so it wasn't too bad.

Running 4 sticks of ram you'll only be able to run in 2T Command rate, not 1T. With the FX you might need a bios update. Other than that I don't see any problems. You'll enjoy that board.

Keep us posted.

Yeah i have to agree , i like the A8N series i have the A8N-SLI Deluxe with a FX55 and it overclocks easy. you will be happy with it.

Well, you might experience some trouble with some SATA HD's. With my MOBO, once I had installed the OS on my new SATA HD, it wouldn't boot. Turns out you have to change something in the BIOS, I think it's setting ¨large¨ instead of ¨auto¨.

Well, if you experience that problem, that's the way to solve it :thup:

And, my board seems to have a bug as well. When I set the memory divider to 266 I believe (one step under 333), it just refuses to boot after 267htt.

Those are all the issues I've had with my board, my 7900GTO is running like a champ as well :)

dan

I built an FX-60 rig for a friend with the ASUS A8N-SLI board. The only comment I have is that Asus northbridge cooler fans have a tendency to fail. Asus replaces them with a passive cooler. If you are overclocking, I would suggest looking at a replacement chipset cooler.

Components:

-Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache w/ an AC Freezer 64 Pro
-4x PC3200 ram - (my son grabbed the tight OCZ while I'm waiting on parts so when I build it will probably be some Kingston Value ram and I'll upgrade it later)
eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR GeForce 7900GTO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (OS drive)
-2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (storage)
-AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz sound card

What type of PSU and Mobo are you using for this?

I don't remember psu manufacturer at the moment but I think its an Enermax. Mobo is the thread title.

Remove said:
I don't remember psu manufacturer at the moment but I think its an Enermax. Mobo is the thread title.
lol... didn't even notice the thread title! :beer:

The reason I'm asking about the PSU is because I'm in the market, and your setup is similar to one I'm looking at - So I was mostly asking for the specs.

I will be upgrading the PSU soon. I just have not looked into it yet but I do plan on having 4 SATAs in there total after I finish all my file transfers and with that beast of a vid card in there I'm thinking somewhere in the 800watt+ range should be just fine.

Back