• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ ASUS Crosshair II Formula AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a] Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nasvemos671

I bought this motherboard about a year ago. It worked fine for the first few months and then all of a sudden. It wouldn't post. I read a few things and I replaced the CMOS battery, this remedied it...for a little while. Now it seems like I replace CMOS batteries every month or so AND every now and again, it'll give me the error "insert system disk and press enter" upon a hot boot and then a few cycles later it'll boot like nothing happened. Very strange to me. I'm done messing with it unless you guys can part some knowledge on a way to fix this problem. All my components are just over a year old and the machine runs like a dream when its not having these dumb problems.

If I can't get any information on how to fix this I've decided to simply purchase a new board, but I'm at a loss at what to buy. Current system specs are listed in my signature, but I've been looking at purchasing the motherboard listed below. What do you think? Also, I'm counting on there being issues of swapping out the motherboards what can I expect to run into if I keep all my current hardware; which is what I aim to do? Would you be able to tell me of any compatibility issues with my current hardware going onto this motherboard The main purpose of my rig is gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131361

Thanks!

Error! :eek: ATI chipset (ASUS MxA) boards will support SLI. If you want to keep SLI you'll need to look for an nVidia chipset board (MxN) - like the 780a. Of course, nVidia chipsets don't support CrossFire but ATI does. For now if you want to run dual-card video the video and chipset manufacturer must match. :( Other than that the M4A79 is an excellent OC'ing board and allows for CPU upgrades into the foreseeable future.

As for your current problem - how hot is the SB heatsink and the area around the CMOS and battery? Sounds like you're accumulating a lot of heat down there that's throwing the system for a loop. Except for continual battery replacement your issue sounds very much like HDD or SB over-heating ...

Last edited:
Yes I do wanna keep SLI, I'm confused on how you said the video and chipset manufacturer must match? So if I wanted to keep running the dual card configuration should I go with this board? If not then would what you suggest? I'm actually deployed right now I'll be back home at the end of this month, but I wanted to order the new motherboard already so when I get home I can work out all the issues.

Thanks

Back