• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX and RAM problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andrew1982

Hi all,

This is my first post. I recently bought an Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard brandnew from Ebuyer. All works fine until I tried to add an extra 4gb of Corsair Dominator Ram. It will only boot up with 4gb. Could both of the empty ram slots be faulty? Any ideas? I have tried all 4 sticks of ram and they work fine.

Andrew

First of all you need to look for a memory setting in the BIOS "memory hole remapping" and make sure that is enabled. Second are you running a 32 bit or a 64 bit version of windows, if it's a 32 bit ver then 4Gb is all it will see and you'll need to move up to a 64 bit version to use all 8 Gb of ram.

Memory hole remapping is enabled and I have installed Windows 7 64bit version.

Are all the sticks matched? Or are 2 sticks different than the other 2 sticks? The board may be having trouble figuring out the correct SPD settings once the additional 2 sticks are added in.

reset BIOS to failsafe defaults and get the same thing? after that, I would start talking to asus support. if they are all matched sticks and any mixture of sticks works in the first 2 slots but not with all 4, it sounds like its support time and possible rma.

Make sure the ram is secure & pushed in tight on the side that doesn't lock in. I had the same issue your having when I used to have that board. Push the ram down tight & try again.
good luck.

Just because your RAM isn't on the memory QVL doesn't necessarily mean it won't work w/ your particular board. And we don't allow items for sale outside of the Classifieds, so as soon as you reach 100 posts you can post your RAM for sale there.

If you look it is on there thats why it won't work. I will have to buy 2 x 4gb sticks or Corseair RAM.

Read the manual for the Mother board...Installing new Ram. You need to push a button on the mother board somewhere to configure and accept the RAM.

Back