• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V - Audio Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Well first my X-Fi worked fine in my Gigabyte 790XT UD4P, but as soon as I popped it into my ASUS Crosshair V, I can't get it to work.

I've had issues with Creative X-Fi and ASUS boards before (the last time I spent at least 12-15 hours of labor believe it or not b/c I was convinced I'd figure it out, yet failed).

I decided to cut my losses and go with the onboard audio since it's supposed to be pretty good, the SupremeFX X-Fi 2, and I cannot get the FRONT LEFT speaker output to work.

I tested my 5.1 surround sound (analog, Z-5500), and if I reverse the front/rear audio cable, the missing output is STILL the front left audio (GREEN output), meaning the issue is not the speaker or the Z-5500 system.

Any ideas? Could it be driver related? I download the ONLY driver listed for this board on the ASUS USA site:
Realtek_Audio_V51006363_XP_V6016363_VistaWin7.zip
Downloaded from here. Under download for Win 7 x64, under Audio, it's the only one listed.

Should I be trying something else? I'm able to get into the Realtek HD Audio Manager and just can't get this to work correctly.

I did clean up the Creative drivers in safemode with driver sweeper before going with the onboard audio.

P.S. Tomorrow if I get the chance I'm going to try to attach the front audio header and see if that works, just to see if it's hardware or software related, though I guess it could still be hardware if the front audio doesn't work either...

Last edited:
Are you by chance using the audio through the HDMI cable? I had similar problems when I used the HDMI audio.

Are you by chance using the audio through the HDMI cable? I had similar problems when I used the HDMI audio.

Analog. Don't you read?! :D You know I love ya...
I'm using analog in the rear. It's not pulling any audio from front left, and I tried my rear speakers in that same port and same thing, so it's definitely NOT the cable and NOT the speaker. It's definitely the OUTPUT from that GREEN (front L/R audio) port. This is the port on the IO, the back of the motherboard.

I connected the HD Audio front ports and guess what, it works!!

This is NOT good news... you guys think the port is bad? =/

Hmm..Gman this is a shot in the dark, but have you tried the Realtek drivers from Realtek's site?

I remember some time back I had a similar problem with the audio drivers from the motherboard's site not working correctly (intermittent/crackling). I swapped over to Realtek's driver straight from the website and that fixed my problem.

Unsure if this will help, but what have you got to lose at this point aside from going with an audio card?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/

(With jovial humor):

I can't stand the Realtek audio controller and it's implementation on ROG boards. It works horribly, sounds horrible, and is horrible. The chip has a crab on it, and I think you need to eradicate that crab by going to a discrete sound solution. It doesn't have to be an expensive one. you can get 5.1 analog out of a very cheap sound card that'll still sound cleaner than the onboard. I have the same audio controller and I can say from experience that it is especially terrible. Even for onboard. You have decent enough speakers that you will notice the cleaner sound from a discrete card anyways. If you throw a bit more cash at it, you'll get much, much better sound.

Hmm..Gman this is a shot in the dark, but have you tried the Realtek drivers from Realtek's site?

I remember some time back I had a similar problem with the audio drivers from the motherboard's site not working correctly (intermittent/crackling). I swapped over to Realtek's driver straight from the website and that fixed my problem.

Unsure if this will help, but what have you got to lose at this point aside from going with an audio card?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/
Definitely worth a shot, bro...

(With jovial humor):

I can't stand the Realtek audio controller and it's implementation on ROG boards. It works horribly, sounds horrible, and is horrible. The chip has a crab on it, and I think you need to eradicate that crab by going to a discrete sound solution. It doesn't have to be an expensive one. you can get 5.1 analog out of a very cheap sound card that'll still sound cleaner than the onboard. I have the same audio controller and I can say from experience that it is especially terrible. Even for onboard. You have decent enough speakers that you will notice the cleaner sound from a discrete card anyways. If you throw a bit more cash at it, you'll get much, much better sound.

Well, you're right, but guess what... I have an X-Fi card. I prefer my X-Fi card, and on top of it I have audiophile headphones that sound much better with amplified output, the X-Fi Elite console!! The console gives my headphones a sick bump in amps and sounds awesome...
But... this board just won't work with my X-Fi elite. :(

I've had trouble with X-Fi and ASUS AMD boards before... I wonder if it's the same problem, or if my X-Fi card died.

This is the WHOLE reason I'm even TOUCHING onboard audio... b/c I need something working while I figure out my X-Fi situation...

Okay, so the drivers directly from Realtek didn't help either.
I guess the onboard audio is screwed and an RMA would be necessary. :( I sure as heck don't think it's worth sending the whole board, shipping, etc, just for that. I'll just suck it up for now...

I sometimes have issues with my xfi (prelude).. what helps for me is to uninstall the creative (auz) drivers and all packages, then power down the rig and yank the card. fire it up with onboard and either wait for winderz to load the driver, or install it yourself, then shut er down again and turn off onboard sound, plug in xfi, install drivers, reboot and presto changeo got a working card again :) My old xtreme music used to conk out on me all the time. my prelude conks out on me occasionally too, but not nearly as often as the xtreme music did.. must be a creative thing :D

Or my theory is its ram related somehow maybe remotely.. Been trying to figger it out for 5 years or so :bang head

As for the dead port issue, my condolences hombre, I can only think of one thing :(

RMA that pig. You paid way too much money not to use the sound.

I sometimes have issues with my xfi (prelude).. what helps for me is to uninstall the creative (auz) drivers and all packages, then power down the rig and yank the card. fire it up with onboard and either wait for winderz to load the driver, or install it yourself, then shut er down again and turn off onboard sound, plug in xfi, install drivers, reboot and presto changeo got a working card again :) My old xtreme music used to conk out on me all the time. my prelude conks out on me occasionally too, but not nearly as often as the xtreme music did.. must be a creative thing :D

Or my theory is its ram related somehow maybe remotely.. Been trying to figger it out for 5 years or so :bang head

As for the dead port issue, my condolences hombre, I can only think of one thing :(
Well, I understand the whole thing you're doing, and in fact when I uninstall and reinstall the card, things sometimes change or start working again.
RMA that pig. You paid way too much money not to use the sound.

It just requires my machine being down for a while, and me taking my rig apart (waste of time)... you know it's not that easy... =/

If yer not man enough to break down yer rig we might as well load yer butt up in the ambulance Nancy~!

Attachments

• wtf_pictures_11.jpg
    wtf_pictures_11.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,657
On some builds I could not get audio to work unless it was installed as the first driver on the system.

On some builds I could not get audio to work unless it was installed as the first driver on the system.

Ever get one that only one half of one of the outputs doesn't work? LOL
The rear and center outputs both output completely. The front output only outputs the right side. The front audio headers both work, though... that's why I keep thinking it's more hardware than software...

Shot in the dark - When you installed your GPU, did you allow it to install the HDMI audio driver with it? I've had those interfere (indeed, completely remove) the output of onboard audio in the past. That was when they were new and I haven't had a problem with newer driver versions, but it's something else to try.

That said, it does sound hardware-related.

I always "disable" it in device manager. I hate that.

Guys, this is TRULY RIDICULOUS!!!
I'm trying yet another X-Fi on this ASUS Crosshair V and man it's tough to get it recognized. Device manage sees it, I installed Daniel K's Support Pack 2.0 for the X-Fi, restarted, and still I can't get audio.

Onboard doesn't work, and neither do TWO DIFFERENT X-FI PCI cards: one was the elite and one is xtrememusic.

Not to mention... Last year I tried 3 different X-Fi cards in an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe... ASUS + Creative = junk!!

You sure you've got the Xfi as the default device? I've used a bunch of soundcards on a bunch of boards and find Win 7 the LEAST whiny OS when it comes to sound ever, ever.

Back