• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V - Audio Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You sure you've got the Xfi as the default device? I've used a bunch of soundcards on a bunch of boards and find Win 7 the LEAST whiny OS when it comes to sound ever, ever.

I always disabled the high definition audio device (guessing it's the ATI HDMI) and this is all I see in SOUND in CP. Where are the other options? Usually it'll list like X-Fi analog and maybe headphones, etc :(

Attachments

• xfi.png
    xfi.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 212
That's odd, :eh?: you should have more devices like mine:

Sound.jpg

My onboard sound device is SB X-Fi MB2 (VIA HD).

I always disabled the high definition audio device (guessing it's the ATI HDMI) and this is all I see in SOUND in CP. Where are the other options? Usually it'll list like X-Fi analog and maybe headphones, etc :(

No idea. I'd uninstall and reinstall the card/drivers.
If you ever want cleaner sound and no issues get a CMI8788 based card :chair:. No issues. 4 OSs, never a single qualm. Even Linux took it without coughing.

I've run 3 mobo HDA/GPU HDMI/Soundcard Analog all at the same time.

I've also run Soundcard Analog headphone out for radio communication and GPU HDMI out for engine sounds in FSX. No issues there either. I'm sure I could have run music via ASIO/KS into my HDA or Soundcard while I was doing that without any issues. Win 7 is the best OS for audio I've ever used by an order of magnitude. I find it very odd that you're having these issues.

Creative Drivers are definitely the worst ones out there though. I feel for you.

idea:

You can't get WAV out right? Like anything that'd go through the windows resampler? What about ASIO/KS out? Run FOOBAR with the Kernel Sampling plugin see if it'll work.k

I think I may have a sound blaster sound card, but it may be one of the older ones and not High Def. If you need it give me a holla.

I think I'm officially done with Creative forever, at least for my main rig. What's affordable out there that will put out extra amps for my headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I think the NIC on this board is bad too. It takes several minutes after bootup for the internet to work correctly... it CRAWLS, even though it has an IP address. And the onboard audio's stereo output only outputs to one side... I think I should RMA... =/

Nothing but unluckiness with this board...

^
Used that board and the Nic was excellent. Don't think that's your issue.
Do definitely get another card. There are a lot of cards with a headphone AMP. Asus ST/X, and others. Not cheap though. Don't get a cheap card.
Get something with an 8788. It's been out there for a long time but it's great.

^
Used that board and the Nic was excellent. Don't think that's your issue.
Do definitely get another card. There are a lot of cards with a headphone AMP. Asus ST/X, and others. Not cheap though. Don't get a cheap card.
Get something with an 8788. It's been out there for a long time but it's great.

Share some links with me. :)

Well, my NIC is acting funky. Last week when I first popped in the board it was BSODing... the latest NIC driver from ASUS was no good. I had to go directly to INTEL (yes, INTEL NIC on an AMD board) and download the drivers directly. Now, I don't get BSOD from the NIC, but it does take a while after I start up the computer for the internet connection in the taskbar to show no exclamation - you see, the exclamation is there even when I have LAN connection, but no internet... or the internet is just super slow...

And, the onboard audio stereo output in the rear is def flaky...

I uninstalled cleanly (manually deleted creative folders in program data and in the users profile as well as driver sweeper and registry cleaners), RESEATED the card, and finally got Windows 7 to see an unknown PCI device. The driver wouldn't install until I shutdown, PUSHED DOWN HARD (well not THAT hard) on the X-Fi into the PCI slot, turned computer on, then the driver was able to install. I restarted and now Windows 7 device mgr sees the Creative X-Fi in device manager.

The problem is although everything installed correctly, there's still no audio. Creative really SUCKS... when it works, it rocks, but it's absurd the amount of time it takes to get them working.

I want a nice sound card, to power my audio technicas... I'm open to options. Just by googling it sounds like the ASUS Xonar DX2 is the good stuff? What else? Is Auzen Prelude old? Thanks.

Or... if you have any pointers with my current X-Fi cards... but I've got only one PCI slot on this ASUS Xhair V to work with... the X-Fi Elite worked perfectly fine on my Gigabyte... once in a while I had to re-seat the card and reinstall drivers, but that was only a few times in over a year of being on the Gigabyte 790XT board.

Wow dude! Thats freakin' wierd.

Not just weird, upsetting... when two different X-Fi cards won't work you'd think I could resort to on-board audio, but nooooo, it too has its quirks...

ASUS Support SUCKS!!

Yesterday I tried 3 times to use the chat and it would time out.
Today I was able to connect, the technician came on and took minutes to respond to each question... then, as we were conversing, "KRIS" vanished. At 10:01 he IMed me. I got him back right after and it looked like we were going to RMA. After 15 min of waiting for a response I had to go and left the window open and fed him all of my info. I come back and the chat window was closed by the technician and a survey link.

WTF???? I hit "reconnect" to get someone else, but I wish I filled out the survey link.

Well, I still feel the ASUS onboard GREEN port is still defective, but GOOD NEWS!!!

I FIGURED OUT MY X-FI ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<--already smacked myself on the head
ALWAYS a great learning experience.

Somehow, the BOTTOM-LEFT case/motherboard standoff was not hooked up, so when I screwed the board in, it warped it down more then the rest of the board (slightly of course, no damage). This caused the PCI slot to be slightly lower on the PCI bracket side, so the X-Fi card would never fit in correctly. It almost looked fine, but when I blasted my 75W lamp over it, sure enough I caught it!!

Glad I didn't give up. I was so desperate, I was shopping around for $200 ASUS Xonar cards... glad I got it figured out b/c I LOVE my X-Fi elite card.

YAY TO ME!!

Dude! WOw! Thats a relief! Noice homie~~! I remember having a similar issue with a new build. I put the lower left mobo stand off in the wrong position and it grounded out the mobo to where the fans would just spina few times and turn off everytime I started the rig. It drove me nuts until I figureed it out.

Good news bruddah.

Stupid me, but happy me. I love making mistakes. Learn somethin' new every time... glad I didn't dump the $150-200 I was planning on doing. I'm happy with my current setup. I love the amplified headphone output option on the Elite console, as well as coax or optical digital, AND analog 5.1 straight from the card!! :)

Back