• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Q-Code 64 Fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

Hey people,

This morning I when turning on my computer, I got a Q-Code 64 and the computer just waited for about 8 minutes during boot. I had this happen a few months back, and did alot of things to get it working, but failed to isolate the root cause. So, today I figured I be a bit more selective and try to analyze just what might be the cause of this. Figured it would help to know if it ever does it again, plus figured there must be more then me in this whole world that will have to fix this problem sometime or another.

So, just what is Q-Code 64? According to my User Guide, it says the "CPU DXE initialization is started". Well, that's alot of help now isn't it. At first glance, it would seem something in the CPU is halting my bootup sequence from completing doesn't it? Yes, seems so. This is what I figured too. But, given more thought to it, what it is really trying to say, very briefly is something like "OK, I am trying to get my CPU all prepared to start CPU'ing.", or something to that effect anyways. So, that being the case, I isn't just the CPU is it. It would or could actually be anything to do with the initialization of the CPU. That is alot of stuff, take my world for it. You have long list of checks and balances necessary for the proper initialization sequence to run though to get a "go, no go" during the initialization cycle. In fact, it will involve everything (or just about) on, in, or connected to your system. Anything that registers out of predetermined perimeters will cause the initialization sequence to halt and or recycle while it attempts to finalize a good initialization.

So, here is what I did. Not feeling like taking everything apart (which I can do, have done, times without number (30+ years of it to be a bit specific), I started unplugging all unnecessary cables or other plug-in devices, one by one and trying a reboot. I was lucky as only took about 4 or 5 reboot attempts before I got a good boot. As it turned out, the device in this case was, believe it or not, my keyboard. Once it was unplugged, the computer booted right up. Got to the Windows prompt, picked up the USB plug on the end of the keyboard, plugged it in, and presto, it worked fine.

So, what gives is the question. I did a little more trouble shooting and as it turns out, It is my mouse which is plugged into my keyboard that must be drawing too much extra current from my keyboard and in turn to the USB port. Without the mouse, it boots fine with just the keyboard plug in. In fact, when I switch to a different USP port it boots fine, even with the mouse plugged in -- Well a few times anyways. So, what I have is a combination of USB device that for whatever reason are trying to pull too much current from the USB port (most of the time) and is causing my CPU's initialization sequence to keep trying to get past the excess current draw on one of the usb ports. Eventually it does, most likely because it is just over the current threshold limit.

So, if you get this QCode 64 error, start unplugging and rebooting. It just might be an easy fix for you like it was for me.

-Rodger

Nice trouble shooting Rodger , thanks never know when that might come in handy.

So I guess the solution in this case would be to plug one or both of those devices into a powered usb hub?

I'm getting a qcode 63 on my motherboard and my screen is blank. I've tried reseating the RAM and CPU like every other forum suggested, but still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wecome to the forum abbeysaurus

Is this a new board with new parts or did you make changes like new ram etc..
Have you cleared the CMOS ?

A few more details wouldn't hurt.

By inference...

...since you are posting in a two year old thread, the OP had Usb issues and you likely as well.

Manual version E7710_Crosshair_5_Formula-Z.pdf
For CHV-Z motherboard and from its' manual on page #50, section 1.34. RTM.

Q-Code Table.
Q-Code > 63-67 > CPU DXE initialization is started.

RGone...

...since you are posting in a two year old thread, the OP had Usb issues and you likely as well.

Manual version E7710_Crosshair_5_Formula-Z.pdf
For CHV-Z motherboard and from its' manual on page #50, section 1.34. RTM.

Q-Code Table.
Q-Code > 63-67 > CPU DXE initialization is started.

RGone...

I'm probably posting in the wrong thread, But here are my system specs

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: intel i5 3450
MEMORY: 4x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury
PSU: Corsair VS550
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980

I've tried all the solutions people have been posting on forums. So what happened was, I had just installed my new GTX980 last week... everything was working fine, but being in India, I have to use UPS. And whenever I run a 3d app, the UPS kept beeping, saying it was way past its power capacity, so i quit the 3D app and it stops beeping. So i shut down, and i head out to buy a new 1000w UPS. I come back and try booting up my machine and i get qcode 63. I read somewhere else that it could also be because the MOBO isnt getting enough power... perhaps the PSU is faulty after the UPS being underpowered? thoughts?

I'm getting some spare RAM to test on my machine today. And hopefully try the MB on another PSU

Yes abbeysaurus you really are in the wrong section for having Intel motherboard. This is AMD motherboard section and you might do better in the Intel section. There are differences in how the boards act being Intel or AMD.

RGone...

Back