• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus HD7870 heat problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jumpper

Hi guys, I'm trying out a new setup and I'm testing it to see everything is working fine just as a precaution.

I have however, seen something that seems strange. Running a -somehow- old game like STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl (from year 2007), the GPU temps seem to go up around 82°C which seem a lot to me considering it isn't a demanding game, not even for a 2 or 3 years old GPU. The computer case has a lots of fan and a good airflow IMO.
I'm using CPUID HWMon to see the temps, and I have seen high temps benchmarking with FurMark as well.

Is it possible that the PSU is causing this problem? It's 500W and I don't think the other components are taking that much power as well...

Thanks for any help!

Why don't you let us know your full cooling situation. Case pics, fannage specifics. Ambient room temps etc. Now it's SCIENCE and PHYSICS.

Tshooting from thousands of miles away is just silly. With no real info.

Your fannage might be different from what I consider good fannage.

82C isn't that bad, on the high end. Is it just this one game? Then forget it if modern games show lower temps.

Umm, no, it's not the PSU.

Umm I can't get pics of the case at the moment, but I can tell the same problem happened when part of the case was removed giving it good airflow.
And now that it's closed there's a 120mm fan right near the GPU, and other 4 90mm fans in other parts of the case.

Where I live there's currently around 23°C which seems pretty average. Temps inside the case are around 27°C.

CPU is just fine with 30-35°C idle and 58-63°C full load.

What's more, when idle the GPU is around 34°C most of the time which seems fine, but when it's under load it can reach easily 81°C.

Do tell me if I can add other kind of information.

Thanks!

What about running the Heaven benchmark? A standard for temps, not as crazy as Furmark.

Till you run stuff we run for tests and record values gonna be hard to figure it out.

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Alright, I will try that, are there any specific settings you think I should use?

Trying with the following settings:
Render: direct3d11
Res: 1440x900 (my current resolution)
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 16x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Tessellation: extreme

the benchmark threw:
Average FPS: 59.7
Scores: 1504
MinFPS/MaxFPS: 10.9/164.7

The temps went as high as 76°C.

Last edited:
Alright, I will try that, are there any specific settings you think I should use?

Trying with the following settings:
Render: direct3d11
Res: 1440x900 (my current resolution)
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 16x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Tessellation: extreme

the benchmark threw:
Average FPS: 59.7
Scores: 1504
MinFPS/MaxFPS: 10.9/164.7

The temps went as high as 76°C.

Sounds normal to me...especially if it's the reference cooler.
Which model 7970 do you have?

Also, like Conumdrum asked, what case do you have and how are your fans set up? If your case has bad airflow, that will cause the temperature of your GPU and CPU to be higher then they could/should be.

Back