• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A79T Deluxe or MSI 790FX-GD70?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baodrin

Hi Guys

Just looking for a little input here

Planning a new build in the next 2-3 weeks and I was wondering what people's experiences/opinions were with the two boards?

Asus M4A79T Deluxe
MSI 790FX-GD70

They are similarly priced, both have all the features I need and either have a few extra bells and whistles. Im planning on dropping in a new Phenom II 965BE, at least 2 of the new R800 Radeon cards when they come out and Overclocking the lot. Im lazy so its going to be all aircooled.

Asus has the name I know and trust (last 3 builds have all been Asus boards) plus all that copper on the board looks like it will cool like a charm. Reviews I have read point this board being a solid OC'er

MSI on the other hand I have had some good experiences with (they make a solid graphics card) this card has native support for 2133 RAM...altho from my understanding the current lines of processors can't handle such a high frequency (correct me if im wrong!) so whats the point? The DR MOS heatsink looks like a beast even if it is alum instead of copper. That and this board just looks dead sexy.

Also I have heard that the Asus board has better Phase Power (8+2) as opposed to the MSI board which has less... anyone able to explain wtf this means?

Any comments, advice, ect would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the MSI has more room for vid cars if you go 2x,, + it has more oc features like the know, cmos reset etc. I think I'd go MSI in this case.

Whatever phase power is I don't know but most sites give the MSI board the nod.

MSI has 4+1 phase Power. It has something to do with the way the motherboard handles the voltage. Hopefully someone can give you a better explanation. If not try asking in the AMD CPU section of the forums since more users go there.

Back