• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A79XTD - EVO problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update... So I flashed the bios on the Crosshair this morning and now it won't boot either. I am really starting to wonder if I should just buy a Dell..... :shrug::cry:

Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my processor. But it works in anything. The motherboards die and work with nothing. Should I just give in and buy a 1090T? I really don't need it, nor do I really want to spend that kind of money right now....:rain:
You got the Crosshair and obviously had it running for awhile.

How long did you run it before you flashed the BIOS?
How long did it run after you flashed the BIOS - or did it reboot at all?

Update... So I flashed the bios on the Crosshair this morning and now it won't boot either. I am really starting to wonder if I should just buy a Dell..... :shrug::cry:

Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my processor. But it works in anything. The motherboards die and work with nothing. Should I just give in and buy a 1090T? I really don't need it, nor do I really want to spend that kind of money right now....:rain:

I have bricked a mobo thorugh bios flashing too, luckily I had access to an identical board so I could pull the eeprom flash switcharoo trick and unbricked it. Which leads me to some advice on bios flashing that I've acquired from many flashes.

1. Make sure to have a cleanly formatted USB or Floppy ( I usually give them the chkdsk after to make sure), download the new bios and save it the aforementioned device. You'll need to make it bootable if the bios doesn't have bios flash support and download the appropriate flash tool.

2. Boot into Bios and select load default settings, save and exit. Note: Be sure to write down all settings if you can't remember them ie. Ram timings. Never ever flash a bios that is not at default settings especially overclocked.

3. Boot back into bios and run flash tool or boot to bootable medium.

4. Save old bios just in case of bad flash.

5. Flash new bios. If everything is ok then reboot, if not do not turn off computer, immediately flash back to old bios and begin from step 1.

6. Reboot back into new bios and again load setup defaults. Save and exit.

7. Reboot into Bios, shutdown computer, remove power source, full clear of CMOS (pull battery+move jumper) for a good 5 minutes.

8. Reboot into Bios, load setup defaults, save and exit.

9. Reboot into bios and reset settings. Note: Go slowly, I have had issues with changing everything at once and not rebooting on the way. Do maybe one page of settings then save and exit, next page etc.

10. Good to Go :thup:

I know this sounds like overkill and a PITA however a bricked mobo is zero fun. Also by not following these steps I have had remnants of the old bios lingering and make strange issues.

Sorry to hear about the new board as well :(.

You got the Crosshair and obviously had it running for awhile.

How long did you run it before you flashed the BIOS?
How long did it run after you flashed the BIOS - or did it reboot at all?

I haven't recovered my raid yet so all I was doing was flashing the bios and putting in some settings. Maybe 10 minutes looking around the bios, then flashed, ezflash said it would reboot in 5 seconds. 5 seconds later the screen went black but it never rebooted. Tried recovering from the mobo cd but no luck. Used the RoG connect to check the boot. It just says CPU init. I've dropped the PC off at NCIX, they said they were busy and would be done with it by Tuesday. Hopefully they can just replace the board.

Last edited:
So NCIX tested all the parts. Mobo boots fine, cpu is dead. Bought a 1055T, just abought to boot it up.

NCIX has been superb through all of this. They haven't charged me for any of the tech help they have given me. Think I'm going to have to take them a case of beer.

Well, the repair was free... The 1055T and Crosshair IV were not. :) Also the SB chip allowed me to carry my raid over, just trying to decide now if I want to reinstall or not.

Just got a phone call from a friend. He is having the same symptoms I had with my original mobo. Except he has an M3A78 EM. I'll see what is happening tomorrow and update.

It was a bad processor, 5600 to be exact. He had a spare 4600 so we swapped and all is good. Still in warranty so he is going to ship it back.

Well, waited until I was sure this time. Processor is good. He bought a new motherboard and everything works great. His Asus mobo died exactly the same as mine did. :(

I was just on overclock.net and there is a guy who just built a unit with that M4A79XTD EVO board and it appears that it is DOA. His first build and he went to boot up and the CPU fan starts to spin, quits and there is no video or POST. Maybe there is a problem with that board.

Maybe ASUS's daughter company ASRock had became better than Asus themselves..
A friend of mine has an ASRock 90$ AM3 mobo that died recently, ASRock asked him if he wants a replace (with a new mobo) or they could give him some other options like buying a better motherboard by returning that one and paying 20-30$ more, so go ASRock!

Problems

Even though this forum is kinda old i decided that to add that I have the same motherboard and just bought it about 3 months ago and have been having that same issue for the last month. It keeps crashing/Freezing. I will probably never use anything Asus ever again because of how disappointed i am with this Motherboard. this isn't the only forum that i have read with this issue on this same model, so next time at least i know to do some more research before buying cause apparently when the rating is 5 stars that doesnt mean that its a good product.

Back