• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 boot question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

The boot time on this thing takes forever. There is one screen in particular, a JMicron screen that is "detecting devices" for some reason, that is taking way too long. It detects an IDE CDRW drive (and doesn't even get them all). Can someone help me to speed up the boot time? I've fiddled with some stuff but I'm left with no luck. :bang head

The only thing I request is that I have enough time to hit DEL to enter bios--I don't care to see anything else. :santa2:

What do you mean "and doesn't even get them all"? As I read it the JMicron controller covers the PATA (IDE) channel and the eSATA port. Usually, when something takes a long time to be recognized by BIOS is has some kind of problem. What do you have plugged into the IDE and eSATA ports ...???

Do you have an external USB drive hooked up? My wifes Seagate was doing the same thing on her Asus board so I went into bios and disabled the usb legacy support and it boots fine with the USB drive hooked to it. She has XP for the OS and it does not support USB legacy anyway so there was no loss by disabling it, all USB devices work fine and at normal speed with it disabled if this is the same thing in your case.

The two drives are CD/DVD-ROM drives that are both IDE, and they both work perfectly. It doesn't pick up the Sony, but it does the Pioneer. I'm going to remove one when my new case arrives. I thought about buying a new SATA CD/DVD ROM, but why? The only things that go in there are the Windows 7 DVD and game CD/DVD's. I don't burn discs much anymore and I don't use them to watch movies.

Still, having to wait and wait on one drive to be recognized is kind of annoying.

Still, having to wait and wait on one drive to be recognized is kind of annoying.
You have two choices. Either put up with the boot taking a long time to recognize the drive or pull the plug on it.

I've got an HDD in one machine that's the same way. I know the HDD has problems but it works once it's recognized so I just put up with it. The machine only gets shut down once every three months or so for some light dusting so it's not that big a deal to me.

Do you have the jumpers set for Cable select or Master/Slave?
A common problem ... ;)

Back