• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M5A97 Boots, with no video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

justinmcla

Hello everyone!

I've got a build here that simply will not display. It boots, as in, everything turns on with no warning LEDS.

The build:

NZXT Phantom 410 Case
ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX-6100 Processor
WD 320GB Caviar Blue HDD
ASUS 24x DVD Drive
PNY GeForce 210
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
ThermalTake 500W PSU

Okay, here's the rundown. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, as far as I'm concerned. The mobo comes with several LEDs and built-in system checkers. I've run MemOK! and the RAM is working fine. I've run BIOS Flashback, so we're at the original BIOS settings. Both the 24-pin and 8-pin ATX power connectors are plugged in. The GFX card is receiving power. I've tried both VGA and HDMI connections with 2 monitors. Both have worked fine recently.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check manual for the correct way to clear the CMOS. While all power is disconnected for CMOS clearning >> swap the video card into the next lower slot. IF no video then board or video card are bad.

Pull the CPU and check for bent pins. We've dealt with this kind of phenomenon several times lately and believe it or not, on occasion it has turned out to be a bent CPU pin.

The other thing I would try is to remove the motherboard and double check that you don't have a loose screw or a misplaced offset stud making contact with the underside of the mobo and creating a ground out short of the video or PCI-e component.

Check manual for the correct way to clear the CMOS. While all power is disconnected for CMOS clearning >> swap the video card into the next lower slot. IF no video then board or video card are bad.

Pull the CPU and check for bent pins. We've dealt with this kind of phenomenon several times lately and believe it or not, on occasion it has turned out to be a bent CPU pin.

The other thing I would try is to remove the motherboard and double check that you don't have a loose screw or a misplaced offset stud making contact with the underside of the mobo and creating a ground out short of the video or PCI-e component.

Alright, my friends. Thanks for the quick responses. However, none of the above solutions have solved it.

I tested the video card in another system and it's working fine. The CMOS has been cleared. I also swapped the video card into another port with no change. Also, the CPU pins are perfectly aligned - nothing bent. Case has been checked for loose screws/standoffs and nothing was found. So, I'm starting to think it's either a faulty motherboard or something we haven't tried yet. I'm leaning towards the former. I can't think of anything else to try. Although, any last minute guesses before throwing down another $100-200 for a new mobo would definitely be appreciated.

How would the CPU fit in the socket with a bent pin? :eh?:

OP, have you connected a speaker to the motherboard yet? Beep codes help a lot. One beep of course means it got through the POST process correctly.

Back