• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M5A97 PRO - CPU cooling problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabilo

Registered
Hi everyone.

I have a small problem with my new ASUS M5A97 PRO motherboard.
When system is loaded, the speed of CPU cooler is controlled by FanExpert software.

When i want to restart the computer, after the system reboots, speed of the CPU Cooler (rotation) decreases significantly , speed of the blades is so slow that you can successfully put something between them.

The fan comes on very low speed to the point where the system loads FanExpert into memory.

Theoretically, when you do not log into the system or remain at the stage of the BIOS welcome message - CPU temperature will increase.
With the increasing temperature, the cooling speed remains the same (slow).
I tried to test my strength placing hand on the CPU heatsink.

After several seconds i was not able to hold my hand on CPU heatsink - get very hot.

My bios version (latest).

My guess is that this situation should not take place, the CPU should be better cooled by motherboard.

Do you have any experience with these motherboards ?

Thanks in advence.

turn off qfan and see what happens.

If Fan Xpert is a windows application, then it is not going to function unless booted to windows. I would not expect it to be working at the log-in windows screen. I don't hang around there anyway.

Still, there is something wrong.
Sometimes when i reboot my computer, i receives a bios message: CPU Fan Error. Press F1
The fan comes on very low speed to the point where the system loads FanExpert into memory.

My CPU FAN BIOS profile is set to NORMAL.

Last edited:
Search >> ASUS M5A97 PRO CPU Fan Error. Press F1
Link >> ....

I read these topics, the issue is so strange, when i disable QFan the effect of my move is putting the full power to the CPU fan.

I'm not in any way control the fan speed, in the application FAN Expert - CPU fan control is disabled, so i think that it works directly from the BIOS.

The problem on the one hand is resolved, after restarting the system fan speeds are at 100%, but after a while it becomes very hard, the noise is so big that i can not think.

I wonder if the problem does not appear in the compiled versions of the BIOS.

Seems AMD or Intel Asus mobo had fan issues at one time, with any PWM fan that came with Arctic cooler CPU cooler. Some buy Arctic cooler fans and put on different type cooler and expect they too would have same sort of problem then.

I was having the same problem on my Asus M5A97 pro and Arctic freezer 7 rev.2. I solved the problem by disabling the FAN Xpert in the AI Suite. Both the AI Suite and Blackbox software now show the correct fan speed and RPM still increses/decreases with cpu temp.

hi, I've had similar issues with ASUS M5A97Pro (current Bios 1208 and on previous ones) and my Arctic Cooler 7 PRO Rev 2.

For me I managed to get around the issue by using a user defined Fan speed Profile in Fan Xpert.

I did not have this issue the stock AMD fan, but it's crap and noisy as hell.

I've just put upgrade to an FX-8150 and am now having issues with CPU temp. ASUS mobo and Suite report Core temps of 41 degrees (windows idle). But AMD Overdrive reports temps under 30 (20/21 mostly)degrees...

Who do I believe!?

System Details:
Asus M5A97 PRO
Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Core 8150 Black Edition 3.60Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 Cooler
Gainward GTX 460 GLH 1024MB GDDR5
Corsair 550W Black PSU
Windows 7 X64

Last edited:
Still, there is something wrong.
Sometimes when i reboot my computer, i receives a bios message: CPU Fan Error. Press F1

My CPU FAN BIOS profile is set to NORMAL.

Make sure you have the fan connected to the right header. There is only one connector for the CPU fan. The others are for case fans. I was having this problem the other day and finally realized I had the CPU cooler fan connected to a case fan header.

Make sure you have the fan connected to the right header. There is only one connector for the CPU fan. The others are for case fans. I was having this problem the other day and finally realized I had the CPU cooler fan connected to a case fan header.

There is no way to miss it.,
Definitely something is wrong with the motherboard software.

:-/

Any news about CPU FAN ERROR ?
After upgrading bios to version 1604 nothing change.
Still have the same error and still my CPU Cooler loose speed to 200+/- after restarting my computer :-/

if your going to use fan expert first disable q fan in the bios.
open fan expert and change it to user and click apply.
you can change the fan slope by dragging the dots.

I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of post #5. It appears in post #6 that you interpret post #5 as saying you need to turn off Q-Fan. You leave CPU Q-fan on, but then in the options under it there will be a number such as 800rpm. You can change that section to ignored. This leaves Q-fan on and disables the annoying fan error. Which I think is the solution to your issues.

I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of post #5. It appears in post #6 that you interpret post #5 as saying you need to turn off Q-Fan. You leave CPU Q-fan on, but then in the options under it there will be a number such as 800rpm. You can change that section to ignored. This leaves Q-fan on and disables the annoying fan error. Which I think is the solution to your issues.

Ok, once again from the beginning. We have 2 options:

Set in the BIOS one of 3 presets:
- Disable fan control
- Normal mode
- Turbo Mode

or

set in the BIOS:
- User fan control:

If the bios is set up to one of the three presets, noise becomes a nuisance, all fans are spinning in the case or they just too slow for 3D applications (normal option) or want to fly out of the case (turbo option). If the bios settings are set up to: (disable fan control) the noise becomes unbearable.

Now, as a convenient user of new technologies, I want to use the (User fan control) and set the level of fan rotation speed through a dedicated software FanExpert (automatic fan speed to CPU temperature).

Unfortunately, the problem lies in the fact that the FanExpert control speed only when the system is loaded, and the program itself. After restarting the computer, motherboard loses control of the CPU fan, the level of spinning drops to 200 + / - and lasts until the system load FanExpert program again.

If you suddenly grabbed by terrible diarrhea, and was not able to enter you password to the system, after the reboot, the CPU fan speed will remain at a level of 200 + / - ( I do not have to explain where it can lead with the processor overclocked to 4GHz) - After a few minutes everything is overheated..

Of course, at the time of restart i receives CPU FAN ERROR often, not always but often ..

if you are going to use fan expert, disable fan control in the bios.
set the fan type to pwm in the bios if your fan is pwm.

If I use fan expert in ai suite I have to disable qfan control in my sabertooth and chv bios.

I'll check it when i get home for lunch to be sure.

hmmmmmm, thats how all my profiles are saved in the chv-f bios, q fan disabled and i use fan expert just fine set to user. as my buddy said the other night, "might be pixie dust".

Last edited:
stabilo, you are exactly right. after booting a few times and messing with fan expert for a little bit i found that if i do not click the os default button in fan expert as i am in the habit of doing when i shutdown, my fan expert settings are loaded directly into bios.

Since this is one of the top threads when searching for this problem and searching on google for the solution doesn't yield any obvious results, I thought I would post my findings. This might affect not only m5a97 pro, but other ASUS motherboards too.

So, to the point - if you let your CPU fan spin at start at lower speed than 700RPM it might happen, that it will stay the same speed regardless of CPU temperature. So PWM control won't work and CPU might overheat. Since silent profile in qfan sets fans at 20% when it's cold a lot of big fans won't spin higher than 700 RPM which renders silent profile useless. The rest are too loud obviously.

What worked for me was setting in BIOS - user control
lower cpu temp - 50C
higher cpu temp - what you feel comfortable with
min fan speed - what guarantees >700RPM
max fan speed - 100%

This way the CPU fan spins at around 700RPM till it reaches 51 degrees and then it increases RPMs, without any need for windows utilities, which won't work if it starts below 700RPM as I said earlier. Pretty nasty bug if you ask me.

edit -> after some testing the results are inconsistent so disregard my necromancy

Last edited:
Back