• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 and FX-8350 wont save my oc/auto reverts to 216 fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Undead_Douche

No matter what i do in the bios if i dont leave it on "optimized defaults" and try adjusting anything it will self oc itself by adjustins fsb to 216 giving me a 4334.5 oc speed

i turn off everything power saving, adjust all the llc, manually set voltage and change multiplier to 4.5 and when it boots there i am again at 216/4.3 and stock voltage

i watched this video to show me where all the power saving and about the llc stuff (just back into pc havent done much in 5 years)

I am at a loss, I cant understand why no matter what i change it always reverts back to it raising the fsb to 216

Fx-8350 4.3ghz w/ Corsair H100i
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Crucial Ballistic 16gb DDR3 1600mhz
XFX HD7970 1000 core 1425 memory
Corsair RM1000
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

My M5A99X Evo when running my Fx 6300, Fx 8350 and Fx 8120, does the same when reverting to "optimized defaults". For some reason it sets the Fsb to 216, I not know why it does this. I have tried updating the BIOS but that did not solve the issue. That said if I manually set the Fsb to 200 Mhz and hit F10 it will save those settings. If you are setting the multiplier to 45, manually setting the voltage and shutting off the power saving features, my thinking is the Oc isn't stable and when you cycle through boot up and windows it is reverting back to default because the Oc failed.

What I feel you should do is this, set everything back to default. Then set the Fsb to 200, the Ht link to 2600 and Nb Freq to 2200. Set your Dram manually to 1600 Mhz and timings accordingly then boot into windows and see if it is set where you set it manually. Then open Hwmonitor and run prime blend 20 minutes and post a screen shot of Hwmonitor as well as the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. This way we can have a peek under the hood and a base line before you push further.

I sort of hope is setting the multiplier to 22.5 to give 200 x 22.5 equals 4.5GHz and not setting an actual 45 multiplier. Strange things happen when we assume what a user means rather than being sure exactly what he means.

You know "manny" I have heard you say that Loading Optimized Defaults gives that 216 FSB setting and I have thought about it off and on for a week or two now and it finally dawned on me. Years ago probably 2003 or so we were all in the habit of using Load Optimized Defaults and DFI I believe it was had some boards that would go NUTS if you used LODefaults. So I got out of the habit of using LODefaults way back then and I just clear the CMOS now. That is why I might not have seen my CHV do that crazy 216 FSB setting. If I get a chance, I will try LODefaults on my CHV and see what it does.

RGone...ster.

I sort of hope is setting the multiplier to 22.5 to give 200 x 22.5 equals 4.5GHz and not setting an actual 45 multiplier. Strange things happen when we assume what a user means rather than being sure exactly what he means.

You know "manny" I have heard you say that Loading Optimized Defaults gives that 216 FSB setting and I have thought about it off and on for a week or two now and it finally dawned on me. Years ago probably 2003 or so we were all in the habit of using Load Optimized Defaults and DFI I believe it was had some boards that would go NUTS if you used LODefaults. So I got out of the habit of using LODefaults way back then and I just clear the CMOS now. That is why I might not have seen my CHV do that crazy 216 FSB setting. If I get a chance, I will try LODefaults on my CHV and see what it does.

RGone...ster.

That's weird. I had overclocks fail and when I go into the BIOS I have seen it reset to 216 also. Can't remember if it was Giga boards or ASUS. Or maybe both.

That's weird. I had overclocks fail and when I go into the BIOS I have seen it reset to 216 also. Can't remember if it was Giga boards or ASUS. Or maybe both.
chrisjames I bet it is the Asus board, it does not happen when I have a Phenom or Athlon chip in the board. Only happens with my Fx chips, I do recall seeing it with my 990Fx Saberkitty as well, I do not recall it happening with my CrossHair V Formula.

Both of my Asus boards (M4A785-M and M5A99FX Pro R2.0) automatically add a few MHz to my HT. First gen. Phenom 9850 ran at 2612 MHz and my FX 6350 at 3912 MHz and I never run at 'Optimized Defaults. The boards don't seem to be able to resist bumping up the HT clock a hair. I seem to recall something being said about the older board doing it "automatically" but I could manually override it. I never saw the need since the chip had a locked multiplier and I had to raise the HT anyway. I turned all the green stuff back on the FX after setting the Turbo speed to 4400 MHz. Still runs at 3912 MHz normally. :shrug:

recall something being said about the older board doing it "automatically"

Yeah that was called the Reviewer's FSB. 100.9 or 200.9 stock FSB times the multiplier always seemed to give Asus an edge in stock benches since in reality the cpu speeds were faster with Asus's stock than other brands of mobo.

RGone...

I was able to get it to save, when i loaded the bios i hit the middle setting "normal" after i went into advance mode, adjusted everything and now it all saves properly

Post some screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. Just so we can see if everything is set correctly.

On my m5a99fx pro I have had a couple of times where it won't save settings and it will tell me "f1" to setup my bios after I have changed minor settings. I have had to let it run at stock settings for a few days then after a few boots it's fine and I can change any and all settings and they save normally. I have replaced cmos battery and still had the issues. I believe im running newest bios of 2501. Specs in sig.

Back