• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my motherboard dead? M5A99FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Asus M5A99FX R2.0
G.Skill 1866mhz 16gb
MSI gaming Geforce 1070 (also tried testing with r9 280x)
HX750 PSU (also tried CS500x PSU)
Corsair H100i cooler

This motherboards CPU_LED light stays stuck on.

i have re-seated the CPU and memory
I have removed the CPU and memory and turned the board on. CPU_LED still stays on red.

i have checked the pins on the CPU. nothing bad there.

i have attempted to use bios flash back but based on w hat i am seeing, i am already using the latest.

I have removed the battery and did the jumper at the same time for a good minute.

i have replaced the power supply.

Now something tells me that if removing the CPU and then turning the board on still shows the cpu_led staying stuck on red, i should buy another CPU and hope it works...yeh?

Last edited:
Unless I misread something, didn't you already try replacing the CPU once and it didn't work?

i have replaced the CPU and memory
should buy another CPU and hope it works...yeh?

Why do you think another CPU would work if you bought one new and didn't work once?

What CPU(s) have you tried? And I assume the one-stick-one-slot-at-a-time memory procedure was annoyingly followed? LOL
And is it breadboarded or installed in a case?

Can someone help me understand the logic behind removing the CPU and RAM then turning the power on? The CPU is the heart and brains of the computer, without it, it's a big paper weight.

As i was trying to say, the CPU_LED would stay on red with no video even after re-seating the CPU. So i removed the cpu and turned the computer on again and it did indeed showed the same problem. So i decided to buy another cpu to see if that would fix it. if not, i can always return it.

So you took the CPU out and while it was still out you powered the motherboard on and still got the red light? Is this what your are saying? Does the red light mean bad CPU? If so, that would seem to say to me that the motherboard is bad if you still get the red light under both circumstances. Especially if, as I understand you to say, you have already tried a different CPU.

I only have 1 AM3 processor and that is the fx-8350. i did visit a computer store an hour away from me but they did not have any at all. no semprons, athlons, or fxs. Which is why i bought another one off ebay.

I re-seated the processor, but i did not replace it with another as i only have 1 on hand. And that is, again, the fx-8350.

I have had something happen like this before with my 3570k. if inserted into any board, ram slots a1 and a2 would not work. but slots b1 and b2 would work just fine. Replaced the processor with a 3770k and both ram slots started to work again. 3770k was also tested in the same boards that the 3570k was tested in and all the other boards ram slots recognized all the ram installed in the board. Both Ram slot sets A and B.

I only have 1 AM3 processor and that is the fx-8350. i did visit a computer store an hour away from me but they did not have any at all. no semprons, athlons, or fxs. Which is why i bought another one off ebay.

I re-seated the processor, but i did not replace it with another as i only have 1 on hand. And that is, again, the fx-8350.

I have had something happen like this before with my 3570k. if inserted into any board, ram slots a1 and a2 would not work. but slots b1 and b2 would work just fine. Replaced the processor with a 3770k and both ram slots started to work again. 3770k was also tested in the same boards that the 3570k was tested in and all the other boards ram slots recognized all the ram installed in the board. Both Ram slot sets A and B.

So the ebay one has not yet arrived?

not yet. before i bought it, i wanted to know if anyone here has run into simliar issue and if there is a way to still fix it. but from what i am reading here, there was nothing so i went ahead and bought another processor to see if a replacement processor would work.

got the processor in the mail. installed it. nothing. not even ram sticks make a difference. so im gonna have to replace the board after all.

I was afraid of that. Get two boards so you'll have one for the both CPUs.

Back