• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus extreme VI or Gigabyte z87x oc Force

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihab7000

Registered
Hi there have bought gigabyte z77x-UP7 nearly a month ago with 3770k. I have chance for selling them at a good price to one of my friends. I intend to buy the new gigabyte z87x OC Force or Asus Maximus Extreme VI with 4770 k. So first of all , would I feel any difference? Second which is better of the two 1150 boards suggested above? Any advice....also for the rams what do u suggest for me Corsair or G-skill and which category thx all

You probably shouldn't upgrade to Haswell from Ivy considering Ivy overclocks better, Haswell runs hotter, and it's really an incremental upgrade...

but if you really get a 'great price' without losing too much money in deal I think Haswell is like 5-10% better than Ivy

You get more bragging rights with the Maximus VI but its extended features and therefore increased price may be of dubious use to you, as they're for 'extreme' LN2 etc overclockers

Last edited:
Really guys thx you all you are always there for me and u all have better experience from which I get so much benefit.The reason for wanting to upgrade to haswell is that I really wouldn't lose much money.but if as you mentioned it is only 5 to 10 % upgrade I can remain as I am but still I want to know , even for my friends here who does not know English and keep asking me:
1.For high end MB ,when money is not an ,issue which is better Asus Maximus Extreme VI or Gigabyte z87x OC Force and in what aspects?
2. If I have to choose between two and only two CPU coolers because they are the only available here in egypt ( the land of the Pharos ), which shall I get for a better over locking "coolermaster TPC 812 with two fans" or "cooler master seidon 240 mm"

Money is no object the maximus series is the best IMO. Have had a Maximus IV Extreme and Maximus IV GENE. I'll likely never buy another brand of motherboard again. (I'm itching to upgrade my asrock z77e-itx to the ROG impact as well.)

Uh....if those are the only coolers you can get, then you are wasting your money on those boards. Get a ASUS Z87-A.

If you're not benchmarking, you shouldn't have a ROG board. Period.

Actually GB Z87X-OC Force and Maximus VI Extreme will be the same boards with little differences that are not really important unless you are benching on LN2. Almost all available Z87 motherboards will give you the same overclocking results. For that reason if you are running 1-2 graphics cards and use pc for games then better idea is to get cheaper version of these boards like GB Z87X-OC non-Force which cost 1/2 price.
ASRock boards are really good too and cheaper so OC Formula is probably one of better ideas if you really want high end board.
Not all ROG boards are the best in their class. With many there are problems or fixing bigger issues takes half a year. Usually after about 6 months you won't get any bigger BIOS updates other than "improves stability" or " improves compatibility with memory" what in real gives nothing. All bigger BIOS updates are made by overclockers for overclockers who don't really care about 100% stability but best benchmark results. I'm not saying that ROG boards aren't stable but best BIOSes for benching don't always mean that they are best for all users. It's great stuff if you know how to use it, for all others better are regular boards.

Thx guys for all these fascinating replies.So I can guess to remain as I am with my z77x-up7 and coolermaster TPC 812 and 3770 k and 16gb Rams 1600 htz.Any other advice would be appreciated. Thx again

Cant say I agree with that. What about sub $200 ROG boards like Hero? ROG VRM components, SupremeFX, and it comes with handy software like RAMDisk and GameFirst. I agree that you def dont need the extreme unless benching and but I wouldnt write off all ROG boards. :shrug:
If you're not benchmarking, you shouldn't have a ROG board. Period.

Back