• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus ROG Extreme QCode 35. Won't Post After Memory OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattr89

Registered
So I have a 6700k, Asus extreme, and gskill trident Z memory. finally got my overclock stable at 1.42 vcore @ 4.7ghz. Ran Aida64 for 3 hour stable with 16gb ddr4 @ 3200mhz.

I then OC the memory (like I have many times) to 3600 MHz, changed the voltage to 1.38, and sa voltage to 1.250 as well as the vccio. It booted fine, rand benchmarks and the Cpu failed the same benchmark I passed earlier. The timing on the memory was 16-18-18-38 which is good for 3200/3333. However I set it to 17-19-19-39 and then it wouldn't post!

I don't hear any beeps. I get code 35. It shows the red led for Cpu and then 2 yellow for the ram and it just sits there.

I tried removing one stick, I have other memory here and tried that as well, no good.

I then reset the bios with clear cmos and removed the battery. I tried hitting the "memory ok" button and no good.

I tried the safe boot button, no good. I even drive selecting bios_2 by pressing the button on the bottom of the board, it just sits at QCode 00. Nothing happens.

How can I get this memory timing reset so I can boot up?

Thanks!

Edit: I do have a PC speaker and when I remove all ram, I get short beeps. 1....2.3.4. So I know that the Cpu and board are working.

Its holding on to the settings still... I would leave the battery out, reset cmos, and have it unplugged from the wall...

That said, the fact that you switched BIOS' and it still happened is perplexing.

What BIOS are you on?

The newest bios. I never copied my settings from bios 1 over to bios 2 so it's blank I guess. I left battery out for 5 minutes and cleared cmos. Nothing.

I just put the newest bios on my usb drive, renamed to M8E.cap. Put into the usb flashback port and held the button for flashback. Bios 1 is flashing yellow. I am hoping this reflash will reset everything

This all started when I put memory cas latency to 17-19-19-39.

During the reflash it was flashing slow and then it got faster and faster and about 2-3 minutes it stopped. It should have completed properly.

Yep... read that earlier. Doesn't change my advice :). You are getting 00 which is CPU...one that wont work.

Unplug it from the wall, reset CMOS, and reseat the CPU to see if that helps.

Is it possible the Cpu just went dead? Is there a sure way to test that?

Have you tried using the flash port on the back of the board. Could fix the BIOS

You said you tried one stick of memory but did you try different slot? You can also pull the battery for a while.
Looks like you have a double thread, I'm going to delete the other. I know it's important but.....

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't mean to double post. Yes it doesn't matter what I do now even with the ram completely removed from the system it makes no beeps anymore. I reseated the processor and it still gets really warm so it must be good. I have no idea but I guess the board died on me.

How does a bios get bricked like this I mean all I did was OC my memory and then it's dead?

I raid Aida64 for 3 hours but the temps never went above 84. That was only peak too. AVG temps were around 73.

I'm trying to get a manual for that board but having a hard time for some reason.Sometimes just letting it sit for a few hours with the battery out can work it's worth a try. Is there just a button or is there a jumer that will force the backup bios?

I am not sure about the jumper. I know it was booting and freezing on code 35. Now it sits a 00 all the time. Somehow the bios has bricked or just died. So frustrating.

I had the Cpu vcore to 1.424 and the vccio at 1.2, sa voltage 1.2, load line was level 7 @ 140%. Cache was auto, memory 3600 1.38v.

Do these settings look like they could have damaged the board?

Because the ASUS website is Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow Johan!

Can you try flashing the BIOS through the normal method and see if that works?

What do you mean? I put the usb in the rear flashback port and held the button until it started flashing.

Wait, you can't get into the BIOS at this time, can you? The way you did it then, would be the only way to do it...I would try that method again but remove everything from the board including the CPU.

Back