• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus VI Hero RAM and howmany modules?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lanzia

Registered
Hello all,

I am looking for RAM for the Asus Maximus VI Hero and I hope you guys can advise me on some simple questions.

I think I will go for G. Skill RAM as I works perfectly in my previous build and the price is nice.
Im not sure if I should go for 8 GB or 16 GB, not sure is there is any benefit while gaming (more than 90% of the time)
On the other hand 16 GB isnt that much of an investment so why not.

Anyway. I will be running a Asus Maximus VI Hero with a 4770K which I intend to cool with a Noctua NH-D14. I know Ares, Sniper and teh Ripjawz serie will fit underneath the cooler but I am not sure which one is best.
Im after 1866mhz modules or higher, not sure what timings are good.

Also. If I would decide to go for 16 GB should I buy it in a kit? and should I buy a dual kit with 2 x 8GB modules or a quad kit of 4 x 16GB modules?

Hope you guys can help.

I originally had 16GB in my rig. Pretty useless. I never broke 7 GB of usage. Ever. That second 8 GB stick was as pointless as buying a GTX 780 to play Facebook games (completely and totally pointless).

I ended up building a PC for my parents, and just took one of the 8GB sticks from my PC. Zero difference.

Anything over 1866 is equally pointless.

I have got loads of video material to work on, as its becoming a new hobby I think I will end up spending more time on this.
Will I benefit while video editing / rendering?

Still open for advise on my initial post btw :) .. last part I need to pick so I can order.

Rendering not so much, but you will definitely see a performance improvement for video editing. It will be noticeable, but not a massive difference.

Back