• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q -- P5Q Pro -- P5Q Deluxe Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My coworker got a new 750i ftw bios and managed to get 475 FSB and slightly over 4.0ghz. My only goal with my P5Q is to now make sure I beat him. I want to hit 500 fsb even at 4.1ghz. I hope I can do it. I havent overclocked for a few years this is also my first intel system. I went kind of cheap but I hope I can OC it decently. I am getting vista64 to throw on right now.

Can you guys throw me some numbers to get started overclocking this bad boy? Its been awhile. Voltage on the cpu/nortgbridge/mem and anything else I can get started.

I've had mine since Friday: P5Q Dlx and P5Q3 Dlx. Check the classifieds in like 5 min since I don't need the DDR2 version :beer:

anyone running crucial ballistix on this board? i know asus' boards seem to be very memory crabby lately. =[
Yes, Ballistix 1600s. They work fine, but still not as good as it did in the P5K3 Dlx. And, unless I missed it, there is currently no setting in BIOS for Command Rate :(

It's a nice jump in FSB from the 965, P35 and X48, but I am still having some trouble with 32M...can't seem to get it to want to bench any higher than on those boards (560-570FSB), but I can do 1M @ 610FSB.

600fsb_ddr3-1920_136vmch.png

Brollocks said:
Lets see who can top this, borrowed from XS
Um, 676FSB has been on P45 already :beer:

What's really irritating my condition is that this thing will POST @ 635FSB, but dies at the Windows splash screen anywhere from 590-635FSB. If I boot @ 550-570FSB, I can SetFSB up to 605 easily, but 610+ is only a matter of time before it freezes. Doesn't matter if it's single or dual channel, PL=9 or PL=15. More Vmch seems to help up to a point, but it really dislikes >1.44V and that seems to be a P45 issue, not an Asus board issue.

Nice FSB's guys, post some Bios settings as well to guide people along, especially any fancy tweaks, these Asus boards have more options than a Chinese takout menu

Ross, are you going to do some runs on LN2?

I might do some quick DI runs this weekend, but I am not 100% sure yet...there's a lot of stuff on my plate ATM. If I do, I'll definitely post though.

Nice FSB's guys, post some Bios settings as well to guide people along, especially any fancy tweaks, these Asus boards have more options than a Chinese takout menu

Ross, are you going to do some runs on LN2?

Yes someone do please. I am way too newb at this. I tried playing around with voltages and couldnt even boot half the time. Mostly the north/southbridges I am wondering about if someone can give me hints on what to run them at. I dont want an extreme OC I am just looking at around 500fsb to run the memory in sync I have that ddr1000 g.skill everyone is always talking about. I have decent case cooling and a Xigmatek S1283. Going to throw a fan on the NB now and see if I can get it cool.

I initially just went with Asus' recommendations to bit-tech here and I was able to go all the way up to 575 with just that. More complicated tweaks were taken from various forums and I'll paste them here when I get home.

Here are the bit-tech recs:

Going on the suggestions from Asus with regards to GTLs and voltage settings for Yorkfield processors. With a 1.3V and 0.655x GTL for the north bridge, 1.3V VTT, 1.66V CPU PLL and 0.675x CPU GTL we easily achieved 485MHz FSB with a 6x multiplier into Windows. It wasn't quite so stable under load, but given more time tweaking the AI clock skews and GTLs we're sure that it would be stable.

We actually found that with an E8500 Wolfdale that leaving the GTLs set to Auto was more fruitful than actually trying to play with them. We managed to push 500MHz FSB into Windows with pseudo-stability. Given the vastness of options we expect there to be some good results in time as we realise that the 0302 BIOS is still young and we know every company is working its tail off trying to improve BIOSes all round at the moment.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/05/28/asus-p5q-deluxe-intel-p45-has-arrived/14

For anyone unaware, VTT is FSB Termination Voltage in the ASUS boards. Also, don't forget to download the 0704 BIOS:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3068026&postcount=515

I'm on 0702 but the two are supposed to be the same in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Im just testing out the FSB and im at 400x6.0=2400mhz and running prime95 and i am at 48c that doesnt seem right does it?

Also looked on Asus' website and didnt see any updated BIOS for the P5Q. Never had an Asus board... or Intel for that matter.

What're you using to monitor temps, and what HSF are you using? And that's my mistake about the BIOS, I updated my post with the right link.

I don't know if you can, I've always done it through the BIOS. On the Tools screen, there should be something that says Asus EZ Flash.

You'll need a formatted floppy or flash drive with the BIOS file on it.

Ah I got it, thanks. Yeah the BIOS on it was crap this one has a lot more OC options in it and seems to be a little faster. I just put it on my psp and booted from that. I havent had a floppy in 5 years.

I still cant really OC worth a crap though... I get to 450fsb with 6.0 multi and then when I restart the computer wont boot back up and I have to reclear cmos.

Hrm, I'm not really sure tbh. Have you under Advanced Menu --> CPU Configuration disabled stuff like C1E Support and CPU TM function, etc.?

Back