• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Asus P5Q3 Deluxe]-Stability issues with this board the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eichhorn18

Hello,

I have made my way to this section of OCforums in hope that some different people will have insight into my ongoing and unresolved problem.

I built the computer you see below in July. Please note the changes that happened.

MB: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe---> had replaced after store where I bought determined that the board was corrupt by manufacturing defects. Replaced by same model.
CPU: Intel Quad Q9450 2.66GHz @ stock settings
Fan: Zalman 8800
Ram: 2 x 2GB = 4GB OCZ DDR3 1333Mhz ---> replaced by same amount of Patriot DDR3 PC3-10666 in October in response to memtest86+ failing

Graphics: Sapphire ATI HD 4870
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Fatal1ty Platinum
PSU: Corsair TH750W---> Tested with a digital multimeter during idle and load to confirm stability of power supply. Everything ok.
Disc Drive: LG Bluray/HD Burner
HDD's: 2x 150Gb = 300Gb Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM in Raid 0

The short of it:

This computer was running fine when I built it. After about 2 weeks of fiddling with the system (no overclocking) I began to have stability issues that I noticed were very constant. The system was freezing (not BSOD) while both just running simple programs like firefox and while running some games.

The most serious issue I had around that time was freezing while playing both Bioshock and Company of Heroes. Interestingly enough I was able to play Call of Duty 4 with no freezing for a long time. All three of these games were being run through Steam's application launching engine. When the two games mentioned before froze the sound on my computer began to screech out of my speakers. The only way to get out of this was to press the reset button.

At this time I started to run stability tests like Prime95 and memtest86+. Memtest86+ passed with no problems but Prime95 failed. I thought it might be the processor causing the issues.

I took the computer in and had it looked at by the computer store where I bought the parts (Canada Computers) and they determined that the motherboard (P5Q3 Deluxe) was corrupt by some manufacturing defect. They replaced it. The computer ran better with less freezing but I still noticed a significant amount of crashes. CC ruled out the processor and the ram as being the problem because they tested both in different systems and they ran fine according to the service department at the store.

In early October I got so fed up I brought it back to CC and asked them to replace the OCZ ram with something else. I did this because I had read of compatibility problems between OCZ and Asus MB's and because I started running memtest86+ again and it failed consistantly. We looked at the QVD for this board and picked Patriot memory to replace it.

I got the computer back at the end of October(I was away for 3 weeks) and the problem was still very present. I updated the bios to the latest version 1606 believe, and the system seemed to be more stable but still crashed.
Memtest86+ was run with the new ram and passed every test for +24 hours.

But the system was still crashing. I posted here on OCforums in the general hardware section and got responses regarding the vdroop of the vcore. They suggested raising my core voltage to 1.2750 from 1.2375. At load the Vcc dropped to 1.1V below the core voltage as read by CPUz. The following bios settings were used:

Code:
Ratio CMOS Setting :
C1E Support [Disabled]
CPU TM Function [Enabled]
Vanderpool Technology [Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
Max CPUID Value Limit: [Disabled]
Intel Speedstep EIST [Disabled]

Ai OVerclocking Tuner : [Manual]
CPU Ration Control : [Auto]
Ratio CMOS Setting :
FSB Strap to North Bridge: [Auto]
FSB Frequency : 333
PCIE Frequency : [Auto]
DRAM Frequency : [DDR3-1333Mhz]
Dram TIming COntrol : [Auto]

CAS# Latency :
RAS# to CAS #Delay :
RAS# Precharge :
RAS# Active Time :
RAS# to RAS# Delay :
Row Refresh Cycle Time:
Write Recovery Time :
Read to Precharge Time :

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (S) : [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (D) : [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (S) : [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (D) : [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (S) : [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (D) : [Auto]

DRAM Static Read Control : [Auto]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: [Auto]

Ai Clock Twister: [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel A: [Auto]
Ai Clock Skew for Channel B: [Auto]

CPU Voltage: [1.2750]
CPU PLL Voltage: [Auto]
FSB Termination Voltage [Auto]
DRAM Voltage [Auto]
North Bridge Voltage [Auto]
South Bridge Voltage [Auto]
Clock Over-Charging Voltage [Auto]

CPU Voltage Damper [Auto]
CPU Voltage Reference [Auto]
North Bridge Voltage Referemce[Auto]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled}

The following is a link to that thread in general.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=586523

I am posting here in the MB section because I am still concerned about the many problems that users have had with the P5Q3 boards. If this is in an inappropriate section of OC please feel free to move this thread to an appropriate area but please let me know.

I welcome any and all opinions on this system and the problem. Please review/critique and offer anything you think may be the underlying issue.

Sorry for the long post. Theres a lot of history associated with this problem and I felt I should give it the length it deserved.

Eichhorn18

Man... that sucks...

I've had similar problems with different boards... it's usually a bad component somewhere in the computer...

assuming you've checked all your hardware's temps and volts and
they're OK try this...

I'd run your system with the Burner disconnected... I doubt that's it, it will probably still fail... when it does, pull your sound card and run off the mobo's sound... if it still crashes, try swapping the graphics card...

but first run: chkdsk /r
on your OS hard drive... that may be it... if/when it's clear make on image of your OS drive, and try running off a different drive cuz maybe your raptors are crappin' out on ya....

that should help you isolate the problem...

oh wait.... you're running vista.... pfft... lol... vista sucks the big one! that's probably your problem right there....

good luck.

Back