• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P8Z68-V LX - Cannot OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aowstrife

I'm new to computer building and overclocking so I started out with some older components so that I wouldn't be breaking anyhing expensive if I broke something. My build went good ... everything started right away, temperatures were good, all RAM and USB work, etc.

Build:
Asus P8Z68-V lx (newest BIOS 4105)
i5 2500k
Team Xtreem 2400 DDR3 ram
Noctua NHu14s
750W powersupply
RX 480
120GB SSD, 1 TB HD

With default BIOS everything runs without issue. The second I change something the system fails to boot to the BIOS. Asus optimal setting fails to load, any manual changes to voltage and multiplies - fails, turn on TPU switch - fails, enable XMP - fails, Asus auto tuner from windows - fails. The only thing that I can good from is default settings.

The board was used when I got it so maybe that could be the issue? I assume that if defaults works I should be able to make minimal changes and still have it run but this is not the case. I want to make sure I am not missing something before I give up trying to OC on the board.

Last edited:
Is there a bios update available for that motherboard? I would try flashing the bios. Even if it has the latest bios, reflash it.

I tried flashing the newest bios again but nothing changed. Enabling xmp sets the ram to 2133 but it doesn't work at that nor anything between that and 1333.

Some boards have issues with different ram modules. Looks like your board doesn't like that Team Xtreem. Can you swap those ram modules to something like Gskill?

Also I wouldn't expect alot from that board. It's the bottom of the barrel board with poor cooling and power delivery section.

Tried with 2x4GB 1600 patriot ram and oc failed on both the ram and cpu done separately.

Back