• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ASUS P8Z68-V] Wont post, fans spin up for 2 seconds, then stop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevecl

Hi,
I recently got some new components:
ASUS P8Z68-V Z68 MoBo
Intel Core i7 2600K UNLOCKED
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengence RAM

The system has been working ok for a week or so, until this morning when I went to turn it on, and the CPU fan spins for about 2 seconds before stopping as the system powers down. It will then try to start again, spin for about 2 seconds then stop again. It's not even getting to POST or graphics coming up.

I have taken out the graphics card (leaving just the onboard graphics), sound card, RAM, HDD and CPU connected.

When I the PC tries to start, the following lights show on very briefly before it all stops, in this order:
BOOT_DEVICE
CPU_LED
DRAM_LED
CPU_LED again (flickers on before everything stops)

That's all I get. If I take the RAM out, I get 1 long and 2 short beeps but the board stays powered up doing those beeps (which is something different at least)

I'm not sure what could have happened to make it just stop working, but have tried reseating the RAM, and trying the pairs in a different set of sockets (but the same thing happens in either socket).

Does anyone have any thoughts what this might be?

UPDATE:
Found this thread which describes the same symptoms: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684152&highlight=p8z68-v+post

but don't see how it can be bent pins unless it's somehow overheated and fried itself, but it's been running for about 3 weeks now. :-s

ASUS' support page mentions the following options:
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...=1&m=P8Z68-V PRO&s=39&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=978

I'm guessing as removing the RAM caused the RAM post-beeps, then the Mobo and RAM is working, which would also point the finger at the CPU...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Nzaneb, I thought I did, connecting the reset pins with the jumper for 5-10 seconds, then putting the jumper back. I can tripple check when I get home tonight to make sure I didnt do anything stupid.

Does that process sound right to you?

If it absolutely won't boot, I would remove the power cord from the wall, remove the CMOS Battery for 10-15 minutes, along with moving the CLRTC jumper as well.

I shall try that this evening, thanks again. Anything to avoid the 1-2 week returns process (and cost if I've missed something stupid) :)

I've tried what you suggested, nzaneb, but still had the same problem. However, I dropped in some spare RAM work let me borrow to test it, and that fixed everything and it boots ok (after prompting me to go into the BIOS to update things, which was further than it had ever got before).

What I don't understand is why the RAM failed after just 3 weeks - I had reseated it twice in the two different slot options and the same thing happened each time. And why if the RAM had failed, the boot stopped but not with POST BIOS beeps.

Still, hopefully this thread will help someone else if they get the same problem.

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer advice though nzaneb, it's much appreciated.

Glad you got it figured out! Feel free to stick around at overclockers.com, there's a wealth of knowledge floating around here :thup:

Back