• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P8Z77 - V PRO and Mushkin 997056 DDR3 Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kroswynd

I recently bought an "Open Box" ASUS P8Z77 - V PRO motherboard from Newegg (not the first time - had great success with the others), which appears to be defective.

Upon firing up the board it failed to POST. after several minutes of being baffeled from trouble shooting I called ASUS tech support to discuss this problem, he asked if I was using memory from the QVL, which I told him no. He further advised me that if it was not from the QVL it would not work (thaqt sounds like BullS**t - I thought to myself).

The memory that I am attempting to use with the board is "Mushkin 997056 DDR3 UDIMM (2x4GB) 8GB PC3-12800 7-7-7-24 Redline FROSTBYTE 1.65V" Which should work. I tested the memory and both sticks passed the tests. Anyway after being somewhat disappointed from my discussion with ASUS tech support, who by the way did not even attempt to trouble shoot the problem, I took the memory stick out of the B2 and turned on the PC and it did POST. So now I am curious. With a stick in A1 or B1 the PC will POST and let me into the BIOS, load Windows, etc. But the moment I install anything into A2 or B2 it will not POST.

I updated the BIOS to 1206, and re-tried the steps - no fix. I even attempted to set the BIOS to X.M.P - still no fix. I even read on one forum in which an ASUS tech addressed the same problem that I was having with another unhappy user, by advising him to press the MEM-OK button allowing the motherboard to tune the memory. That did not work for me. I think the board may have a bad memory controller so I will be sending the board back and getting another one, although I am a bit leery. This has been my first problematic motherboard in all the computer builds that I have done.

At this point I just a board that will work with my memory (although I do not see why my memory would not work with this board - according to ASUS tech support).

Any suggestions...hope I did not confuse anyone with my long winded explanation

Simeon

With only 1 x module installed, try disabling XMP and manually adjust the timings to 8-8-8-24 at < 1.65V (1.55-1.60V), then install the 2nd stick. Or w/ 1 x module installed, try lowering the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1333 w/ XMP disabled, and w/ the timings at the modules rated 7-7-7-24 and 1.65V, then again re-install the 2nd module.

Back