• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

On_Point

Hi guys, I just wanted some advice on SATA
Basically my last pc only had SATA 2 and everything was plugged into these ports

This motherboard has 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports, 4 SATA 3Gb/s Ports and another 2 6Gb/s ports with caching

Now im reading the manual and Im reading about ACHI mode RAID modes etc
In the past I only used IDE mode so I wanted to double check before I hooked these up.

Im going to be using 1 SDD for Windows and programs, 1 SDD for games and 1 SATA III drive for storage.

Here are links to my drives, they both say they can support up to SATA 6Gb/s
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007R67FTY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D0240M4/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I was thinking to plug the 2 SSDs into the SATA 6.0 (normal)
Plug the storage into 6.0 (one with caching because the maual say only use these for data drives)
Then use a SATA 3.0 for my optical drive.

I just wanted to check if this was a correct setup?

Now the maual says all these ports are set to ACHI mode by defult. Also its saying when SATA mode is set to RAID you have to load IRST driver at WIndows 7 installation.

No idea what this means, but it probably dont even apply to me.

Please let me know if this setup will work guys...Thanks :thup:

I wired everything up. I actually only plugged in my main drive and the optical drive to install windows, but as I feared it didnt even turn on.

Motherboard has power, I can see the onboard power led and reset led light up. But when I click the power switch I think the power supply or something makes a sound but nothing turns on :cry:

Please give me some advice...I remember this happening years ago. But I have no idea what has gone wrong here. Please help! :bang head

You could try clearing CMOS and then try booting into BIOS. If you can boot into BIOS you could check to see if you really are in AHCI mode before installing Windows.

You could try clearing CMOS and then try booting into BIOS. If you can boot into BIOS you could check to see if you really are in AHCI mode before installing Windows.

I will try clearing the CMOS, but I cant even get the PC to start at this point let slone access BIOS.
Another thing im worried about now is, BIOS not being up to date and not supporting something I have....

I dont know whats wrong. Headers are in properly. Even if I click the power button on the motherboard it dont turn on. Even though the button itself is lit up so thats getting power.

Only other thing I can think of is the fan controller on the Enthoo Primo is causing this.
Does anyone know if the fan controller is trying to suck up too much power from the motherboard, can it stop the pc from starting up?

Because there is an additional molex power lead just for the fan controller. But it says do not connect at first, only connect if motherboard dont supply enough power.

Well your problem could be that your BIOS DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR CPU!! Sorry to say, it all depends which P9X79 PRO Motherboard you got!! If you did not, do not panic you will need to up date your BIOS.

1, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...r3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-atx

If you look at the Manufacturer number and check that against the one on your Motherboard box!! 90-MIBH40-G0EAY00Z As you can see in the notes below this one does support both CPU's i7-4930K + i7-4820K!!!

AJ.

Well your problem could be that your BIOS DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR CPU!! Sorry to say, it all depends which P9X79 PRO Motherboard you got!! If you did not, do not panic you will need to up date your BIOS.

1, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...r3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-atx

If you look at the Manufacturer number and check that against the one on your Motherboard box!! 90-MIBH40-G0EAY00Z As you can see in the notes below this one does support both CPU's i7-4930K + i7-4820K!!!

AJ.

Thank you so much! I have the exact same manufacturer number :cry:
Im also concerned now about my hard disk connections now, because on your link it also says
"The two Marvell SATA 6 Gb/s ports do not support ATAPI devices"

I started this thread to find out if I connected my drives into the right SATA ports.

Can you tell me how I can flash the BIOS please? (i remember reading about using the white USB port - but I dont know the details) Also if you know Im also using the correct SATA ports....as I described earlier this thread.

Thanks again!....I was going crazy because I was so close to having this finished :thup:

Last edited:
Did you put the CPU into the socket in the correct sequence or you could have bent some pins!!

OK as for the SATA SOCKETS, you could use the first 2 GREY ONES for your SSD with your OS on it. Also in the GREY PORTS i have my HDD 750GB with my other data which i have stored.

The next 4 BLUE PORTS you can put like your DVD or BLUERAY PLAYER ETC like myself and other drives i think!! As for the SSD CACHING i did not bother at all with that!!

If it has the same number it should work without having to touch the BIOS, you can check when you finally get this fired up. Mine is BIOS 4302!!

And finally when you install your OS just have the SSD plugged in the grey port and your DVD in the blue port, to begin with, you can add the others later afterwards.

AJ.

Last edited:
Im prety sure I put the CPU in correct. Here are some pics in case I missed something. I also wanted to mention that the power header for the cooler was 3 pin...but I have plugged it in to the mobo cpu fan header which is 4 pin. I assumed this was ok?

here are the pics:

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 181
Ah i see you have only 2 Sticks of RAM is that correct??? If you have only 2 sticks then you have them in the wrong place. That is why maybe its not firing up and working, please look in the Manual. For only 2 STICKS you need to put them into the 2 BLUE SLOTS NEXT TO THE back connectors. That will give you DUAL MEMORY only, come back to me when you have changed them around.

SWITCH OFF THE PC BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE RAM!!

AJ.

So are you saying both sticks should be on one side of the CPU?
Or do you mean I should move them to the 2 blue slots im not using?

The 2 blue slots at the back connector side = 1 bank of Ram.

The 2 blue slots at the 24 pin power connector = 2 bank of Ram.

So if you had 4 sticks of Ram in these slots that would be a QUAD SET UP!!

The 2 black slots are another set or bank of Ram and the same with the second set of black slots is another set or bank!!

That is why your build is not firing up because you have split your ram between 2 different banks. With that it will not work my friend!!

EDIT:put them into the 2 BLUE SLOTS NEXT TOO THE USB AND CONNECTORS, that should do the job and work. Then once in the Bios set the speed plus voltage as well!!

Ok I put them at the back like you said but its still not booting up :(
Here is a pic of how it looks. As you can see the Power and Reset LEDs on the mobo are on.

Also here is a pic of the maual.

Do you think the issue I mentioned with the fan controller trying to suck too much power through the mobo may cause this?

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 160
Sorry in all the questions i forgot to say the 3 pin in the CPU FAN HEADER will work just fine it does not matter if its 4 or 3 pin as i said it will work the same!!

Right its getting late here in the UK, so i have to go now, just try the RAM as i said. And i will see you tomorrow, its best to take a break, as when you get tired you make more mistakes!!

Bye for now just post things for me OK!! ;) :thup:

AJ.

Ok mate, we can start this tomororrow. Im getting bit tired myself. Im also in UK, too bad I dont live in west-midlands :D

Last edited:
OK my mistake the ram is the second blue slot B1 and the first blue slot second bank D1!!

Yeah you got me confused lol, as for the lead no its just getting this RAM SET UP RIGHT!!

Well goodnight see ya soon will get this right soon.

AJ.

Ok they're back in B1 and D1
So what could be stopping this from starting? :(
When I turn on the power from PSU then click Start button, system seems to get a tiny bit of power. Because the graphics card fan starts to spin a bit then stop.

Any ideas?

Back