• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Rampage V Edition 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jruniv

Hello all! I recently built my first desktop PC in YEEAAARS.. Specs below.. I was wondering if anyone here has this mb and if they have any tips / tricks / insight etc to share. One of the things that has puzzled me is that in the bios, i have no idea where my M.2 drive information is found? I had to install windows on my HDD... install the samsung drivers for the m.2 drive... then i was able to use the disk management utility to format and install windows on it. Yet, i still can't find any m.2 info in the bios?? Go ahead and consider me a newb here.. so let me know if i'm being dumb please!

More dumb questions.. On the specs of the V Edition 10 for RAM it says "8 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.) MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory "..

Can someone help me understand what all the numbers are and why they list so many? Is 3333 the max mhz of ram you can use and they are just being specific when they show you lower mhz ratings it also accepts?
Secondly, i bought the GSkill ram at 3200mhz after looking at the mother board specs.. but i see my processor supports 2400.. does this mean i'm limited to use the ram downclocked at 2400? Potentially slightly higher if it's overclocked?

Has anyone used the software for auto-overclocking the CPU that comes with the motherboard? Is it better to tweak / overclock manually?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks for any help!

Asus Rampage V Edition 10
Intel i7 6850k
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 Edition CPU Cooler
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB 3200
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 2280 256GB
WD Black 5TB HDD
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GPU
EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000 PSU

Hey there.. welcome! Nice setup you have there...killer mobo... likely overkill, but still awesome.

Anyway, not too many tricks, though it is full of them, we really don't need to use them at ambient cooled temps (even water cooling).

THe ram supports up to 3333 yes and all the rest. It will likely go over 3333 it just has the multipliers for it. The rest will have to come with BCLK. No point in any faster ram than you have.

The JEDEC spec is 2133/2400 Mhz. what it defaults to. You support higher so you should be able to run your sticks with no problem. Enable XMP and you should be set. Keep an eye out on your cpu multilplier though as you may jump to 125 BCLK.

Overclock from the BIOS, do not install AISuite.

Hope that gets you moving! :)

Nice pc man. I want the 6850k so bad. I almost got it but I had a Fry's Promo code for the 6700k for 269$ so I grabbed that with the z170 Deluxe for 275$ On my motherboard there is a switch to enable the xmp. Then once it is enabled you can set it in the bios to xmp and it will automatically set it to run your ram at the set specs. (3200Mhz) The M.2 runs off the Pci Express lanes. Your motherboard supports Pci express based M.2 ssd's. Man I need to brush up on my stuff because I should already have the exact answer you're looking for my mobo is the same tech as yours with that. I didn't have to do anything I know it uses pcie lanes and I think it runs in sata 6 mode

All those numbers mean is the speed of the Ram. They make 2133mhz/2400/ and so on. Yours is 3200Mhz. Stock your mobo will clock it at 2133 or 2400Mhz. Unlike with you cpu you can't Overclock you ram at whatever Frequency you want it has to be one of the listed speeds. Just like Earth Dog said once you enable your xmp your ram will run at 3200Mhz with is plenty plenty fast enough. 3200Mhz is about the average these days it seems like everyone is running that speed. And ya the Pci express m.2 ssd's run in Sata express mode by default so besides the drivers (which I was able to install windows without) you shouldnt need to do anything else. And I second, do not install the ai suite it did nothing but cause problems. With the 6850k start at around 4.5Ghz with 1.35v set manually in the bios and monitor it with hwmonitor or cpu-z but use the regular version not the ROG version because for me at least the ROG version reads Core vid not core voltage. I have mine set at 4.5Ghz with 1.290v and my load line calibration set to level six and my vcore at idle is 1.296v and it never drops below that and under load it bumps up to 1.312 and I've been testing it like that for 2 days now and it's rock solid stable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back