• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus rampage v extreme video card question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sumguy

Registered
I am just curious do I have to use the top pcie slot or can I use a lower slot. Reason I ask is bc the water cooler radiator is in the way of the ports on the card if in the top most slot. I read the 4slot down was also 16x I believe.
Thanks in advance.

I am just curious do I have to use the top pcie slot or can I use a lower slot. Reason I ask is bc the water cooler radiator is in the way of the ports on the card if in the top most slot. I read the 4slot down was also 16x I believe.
Thanks in advance.

You may have to check the manual but I am Sure that board is capable of running two slots at x16 so there shouldn’t be a problem with choosing a lower slot than the top one.

Like I said l, check the manual though and see which slots run at x16 mode. Although having said that there isn’t a huge performance hit for choosing a slot which runs at x8, maybe 1% or something like that.

What CPU is in there? THat matters a bit...and what BTD said above. :)

From your manual...

4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16, x16/x16, x16/x8/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 mode with 40-LANE CPU; x16, x16/x8, x8/x8/x8 mode with 28-LANE CPU) *2

2. The PCIE_X8_4 slot shares bandwidth with M.2 x 4.
40-LANE CPU: The PCIeX8_4 slot can only be used in x4 mode or lower when used simultaneously with the M.2 connector. If x8 mode is used, the two connectors will be mutually exclusive.
28-LANE CPU: The PCIE_X8_4 slot will be disabled and the M.2 connector will always be enabled.

That is the last x16 slot I believe (what you have circled). The bottom one is max x8 and I think fed from the chipset. See BTD's post for more info..

The difference in performance is like 1% from PCIe 3.0 x16 to x8. It isn't a big deal.

That is the last x16 slot I believe (what you have circled). The bottom one is max x8 and I think fed from the chipset. See BTD's post for more info..

The difference in performance is like 1% from PCIe 3.0 x16 to x8. It isn't a big deal.

The board ALSO has a small red box with white sliders near the LED. These control the different PCIe slots and allow you to turn them ON or OFF.

Kind of :)
Say you have 2 video cards in SLI/CF plugged into RED PCIe slot 1 and 3 (Both run x16 with a 40 lane CPU). You can disable any of the RED PCIe slots and cards installed without having to remove them.

If the OP decides to use two cards (I see one mentioned here) and runs into trouble (no trouble mentioned...he's just asking about bandwidth for a single card), I think that information will be quite useful. :)

Back