• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 OverKill(?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
I am still new to Internet. Hello.
I was recently given an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155 motherboard with an Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz processor. I currently have just the stock CPU fan that came with the two, and I had a 900W PSU laying around as well (also a spare chassis). So I'm almost there, on getting this rig up and running. As far as the RAM goes for this MoBo, I was considering investing in http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233271 32GB (4x8) @ 1866MHz modules ... in a nutshell I want to basically Max this system out--aside from the Video Card that is. Would putting this RAM onto the board be overkill, or should I just invest in something less expensive that will still get just as good a job done, versus attempting to try to Max this system out? Considering I have, currently, just generic HDD's & an "outdated" video-card (EVGA 250 GTX) ... no SSD to even utilize it with, although I intend to eventually install a PCIe SSD adapter to get the most out of an SSD ... if those current PCIe SSD's (without Adapters/Converters) don't drop in price any time soon that is.
Also, when this does get up and running I would appreciate some feedback/assistance on OverClocking from anyone that may have already had a similar build, or just willing to help.

Thank you.

I would honestly stick with 16GB of RAM, unless there is something you are doing that would actually take advantage of the extra 16GB, it would be pointless and have nothing to do with maxing out the system. If you rendered a lot in AutoCAD, 3D Studio Max, etc. etc. with large enough projects that may require large amounts of system memory, then yes by all means it would be a need. Otherwise, I don't think you will be maxing even the 16GB, or even close to it for that matter.

Back